Hot engine starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misko

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own 2002 3.7l Jeep KJ which until now didn't give much troubles. But lately, during the hot summer days, I have problem starting it when the engine gets hot, sometimes even after the relatively short drive. When I try to start it all the control lights turn on all right, none of them giving me any warning, but there is no any sound at all, not even click of the starter. After certain period, say 10 - 15 minutes, depending on the outside temperature, the breeze cooling the engine through the open hood, and such, when the engine cools enough, it starts normally as it should. I service my car at the official Chrysler garage, but they simply have no clue what causes this problem. My car is still the regular stock variety, except for being fitted last year with the LPG / autogas system. However, my mechanic says this is not the cause for the problem I have.

Any ideas and suggestion will be much appreciated.

Misko

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be affected by whether the engine is cold or not, but what about the ignition actuator? There are several posts around with questions and answers for the problem - even a sticky at the top of this section.

Other than that I can't think of anything that would create the issue with a hot engine :whymewhyme:

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat soak on a weakened starter motor? Does it still have the heat shield on the starter?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I've been experiencing overheating issues with my 04 KJ Sport. The rad cap never blows but I notice the water temperature climbing and like you it's sometimes difficult to start. When my water temp is about 110 C when the problem appears.

My Liberty has the HD cooling package also known as a Trailer Package which means it has a mechanical clutch driven rad fan and an electric two speed fan.

Myself I've identified my problems as being caused be a dirty rad (thoroughly plugged up with mud) and a nonfunctional electric rad fan.

I was able to flush out the rad core with a garden hose (a noticeable improvement) and this weekend I'm going to replace my electric rad fan. I've already dismantled and rebuilt it twice but the brushes in the motor are simply shot.

You can check the operation of your electric rad fan by jumpering 12v directly to it. I'll have to get back to you as to which wires to apply the 12v to. I don't have the wiring diagram in my pocket just now.

Misko

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all your answers! I’ll pass them to my mechanic in hope one of them will be the right one.

To LibertyFever: I never had problems with the overheating - the needle on the water temp gauge never goes beyond the upright position, even in the hottest days. However, I’ve experienced the rad cap blow once earlier this year while climbing some steep forest road, but I didn’t notice any overheating beforehand. I needed over 1 gallon of water to refill the radiator. No water leaks noticed anytime before or afterwards.

My Liberty has the trailer package too, and the electrical fan works OK.

To Luke: When the engine finally cranks, it works like the Swiss clock - no stumbling and dying

To Leeann: Heat shield still on the starter? That’s something to be checked. I didn’t know there is such shield. Could it be that it has fallen off or it wasn’t replaced after some mechanical work on the engine?

To TwoBobsKJ: Ignition actuator - I’ll check other posts and I’ll pass to my mechanic whatever I find.

Thanks again to all of you