04 ignition problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
wife went to leave for work today to find that everything electrical worked but the motor wouldnt crank or start. tested battery, tried starting in neutral, tested fuses, swore a whole bunch, read a bunch more. called to price a new ignition switch but they asked which i wanted. im guessing they are considering the key/tumbler a ignition switch also. do i only need the $20 ignition switch or do i need something else? hoping its not the metal rod i read about earlier.

also i noticed that when i turn the key to the start position and let go it doesn't spring back to the run position. is that a hint to the problem?

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed that when i turn the key to the start position and let go it doesn't spring back to the run position. is that a hint to the problem?

Sounds like the spring inside the ignition switch module is screwed up, broken, displaced, or the like. The spring's anchor point could have broken or any number of things. Replace the switch and all should work.

Also, what year/model/build are you driving? I'm not sure if the switch varies by year but it might. And the details will be helpful to know.

EDIT: My repair manual is saying the part number for the ignition switch is 04793576AB but that's for an 04 Sport with the 3.7

The number for the cylinder lock I found was 05083915AB

Maybe someone will step in and say which one contained the resistance spring... based on images of the two I can't say for sure...

Last edited:

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 sport 3.7 4x4 auto.

so i need both?

I don't believe so. I can not find any other Jeep owners anywhere who have had the same issue (and reported it all the way through)... but all the other car/truck owners who have had this issue have remedied it by changing JUST the ignition switch, not the cylinder. If the mechanisms in the Jeep are similar to the rest of what is out there then I imagine this would hold true for you. The cylinder should just prevent the ignition switch from being turned over (sprung?) unless the proper key is in place, just like a regular lock.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
well i found it and yes its broke not sure if i have all the pieces. looking for super glue now.

edit: guess i didnt get as lucky as others who had it break in two... mines in 4 peices and i only found 3 and super glued it ill update . in the meantime im going to look for a replacement.

edit again lol i found this peice listed on ebay that looks like it includes not only the metal peice that keeps bpreaking on everyone but also the plastic peices, springs, and brass piece. i aksed the seller to make sure but in the mean time the part can be found on google by searching DORMAN 924-704 if it is like it looks then this willl make alot of people happy because everything i've read of others with this problem says that you have to buy the whole column to get this little peice so everyone just super glue's it.

steering colum couple hundred...
this peice only $30-$50

Last edited:

The Outlaw

Reaction score
so my 4 piece super glue job didnt hold up and broke as soon as i turned the key the first time.... it shows on google shopping that the part i mentioned above is in stock at the local advanced auto so ill check it out first thing tomorrow.

edit.... so they thought it was in stock till i got there when they told me they'd have to order it. o well tomorow i'll have it and should be able to get it running...

Last edited:

The Outlaw

Reaction score
ok folks the aftermarket one works like a charm. $40 and no super glue... every parts store i called sells it but all had to order it and have it there the next morning
part name "ignition switch actuation pin"
part # DORMAN 924-704
@napa BK 6201414

it includes the whole peice plastic and all

karmond

Reaction score
I have a 2006 CRD, have addressed most of the usual issues (rear diff rebuilt, oil drain threads stripped (added drain valve), air being sucked into the fuel/water filter/seperator, alternator decoupler pully replacement etc.) But now the car will not start.

The Battery is 3-months old, the car may or may not start, I replaced the ignition switch unit ($16 at autozone) as many threads talk about issues with it. The key does turn the switch and all the parts in the mechanism are intact and working. I have checked the fuse and switched relays but believe there is an interlock with the neutral/park position switch but not sure. Anyone have a similar experiance and know a fix? How about a photo locating the Neutral/Park Position switch.... is it the switch inside the transmission with the large connector or is it on the side, is it an inductive sensor or a mechanical switch, is adjustment all that is needed? Even moving the shifter through all positions with the key in the start position does nothing?? Any ideas?

UPDATE: went back to the car to run through the possibilities again... finally tapped the starter motor/solenoid with a wrench and the engine started. Looks like I need an new solenoid but the parts store only lists the complete assembly with motor for $210 + Core $35.

Looks like a pain to get access to replace.....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.