Window Regulator???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I have searched many of past threads regarding the regulator. My problem seems to be the same. The Passenger window does not fall, it is just not attached to the (regulator???) It goes up just fine, but on the way down it slowly goes down (due to gravity) Sounds like the regulator clip has broken, I took the door panel off and I just can not see in there to tell what the window is attached to. What do you all think???

Will that repair kit work to fix this and how many of you have used it.

Zinger

Reaction score
I think the most common failure on the window regulator is the connection point where the spiral cable is fastened to the window regulator. If this breaks, the window will slide up and down freely. But in your case, it sounds like it's the window pin that has broken (the piece of the regulator that goes through the hole in the glass and keeps the window regulator + glass together). That's why it will go up but not down.

I replaced mine myself with the part from Steiger performance. Pretty easy install, and the repair kit comes with excellent instructions and lots of pictures.

Somebody correct me if I've made the wrong diagnosis...

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I thank you for your input. I guess i will look into that repair kit, I first want to see if I can "see" the problem. It is difficult to look in there. I went on line to that website you speak of...$80 seems reasonable, hopefully that will fix it.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the dealership will replace at no cost.

I thank you for your input. I guess i will look into that repair kit, I first want to see if I can "see" the problem. It is difficult to look in there. I went on line to that website you speak of...$80 seems reasonable, hopefully that will fix it.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the dealership will replace at no cost.

they will replace it with the same exact piece that fails, and will fail again. along with a new piece of glass you will have to re tint if you have tint..

You have to take the motor and track out of the door to really see what breaks. its not that hard to do after you figure out the trick of wiggling it out of the small hole. Buy the Steigerperformance kit and be done with it. There are a few how to's that explain how to take out the track and motor.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the most common failure on the window regulator is the connection point where the spiral cable is fastened to the window regulator. If this breaks, the window will slide up and down freely. But in your case, it sounds like it's the window pin that has broken
Somebody correct me if I've made the wrong diagnosis...

sounds about right to me.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be possible that your gear stripped in your window motor. That's what happen to me. I notice the window motor was slowly getting louder until one day it got extremely loud b/c what was left of the teeth on the gear was just rubbing on the spiral cable. Sometimes it would catch and move the window. I too was able to move the window up and down by hand. It had some but little resistance on it b/c the spiral cable was still attached. The window would slowly fall down as I drove around b/c of vibrations.
For $110 (Actually $130 but I got $20 back when i sent my broken stuff(core Item) back) I got a refab Window regulator and motor assembly. Came with a life time warranty as well. Made things simple. I didn't have to bother with taking everything a part to replace one little piece. all I had to do was just swap out everything as one piece. :-D I found it on ebay. I'm not sure who the vendor was. I'll look at my paper work when i get back home on Friday.

I actually had to break my old regulator clip. It wouldn't release the window lol
Be my luck I actually have a good regulator but a ****** motor.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just discovered that the front passenger window in my 2005 KJ won't go down. You can hear the motor running when you press the switch, but the window doesn't move. You can't move it with your hands either so it's not the usual broken plastic bracket problem (which I've already fixed on a rear window with the Steiger kit). At least it's jammed in the fully-up position, which is less of a PITA than a window that keeps falling down.

Can '05s still get regulators repaired by the dealer at no cost, or is it only the '06 and '07? And if I'm eligible year-wise, is *any* regulator fault covered, or does it have to be the broken plastic bracket problem specifically?

Last edited: