Will I need to use Mopar PS fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my '02 in the shop for some under car diagnostics the other day. Result is that my rack and pinion is leaking. I can see it on the road where I park. Until I get it replaced do I need to use Mopar PS fluid only? From reading this forum it seems that a lot of the fluids and parts for the Libertys need to be Mopar in order to avoid problems.

Do I understand correctly that the rack and pinion need to be original equipmet? Does the refill of fluid need to be Mopar? I need to know this before I make the arrangements for the work to be done. If it all has to be Mopar then I want the shop to know ahead of time so that me and the shop are all on the same page.

Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
An 02 would have had Mopar PS fluid in it from the factory, so I'd keep topping it off with that. Once you get the rack replaced, then switch the whole system to ATF+4, there was a TSB to switch 02 KJs to that and 03+ used ATF+4.

I would also recommend replacing the high pressure line if it hasn't been done yet as well as the cooler/return line assembly. As for the brand of rack, it doesn't really matter, most people on here (including me) have used a Napa reman one. Make sure they use only Mopar o rings however.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep! For the hoses, I used an Edelmann for the HP line and a Dorman assembly for the return. Double check to see if your HP line is leaking, I'm guessing it is if it hasn't been replaced. I said to replace the return line because over time they develop pinhole leaks that don't leak fluid but suck in air and that cooks the pump - ask me how I know. LOL

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the color of the fluid......early 02 KJs like mine came out with the golden Mopar fluid....later ones with the red ATF + fluid. Both fluids do darken with age and use.

There was a notice for Dealers to drain, flush out the old fluid and replace with the red AT + fluid but this never happened with my Jeep so I recently bought some Mopar fluid, used a Turkey baster to suck fluid out of the reservoir and then topped up the fluid...repeated this every few weeks until the fluid was reasonably clear again.