Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Three or four very basic tools

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • A medium-sized toolbox full

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • My cargo area looks like a Snap-On Tools truck

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you have a garage full of tools which would make a pro mechanic envious, there are probably some tools you always have with you when you pull out of the parking lot. I'm not referring to the extra stuff you might pack for a long-distance trip or an expedition, but rather the stuff you'd have with you even for a quick trip to the grocery store.

Post here and tell us what is on your "Never Leave Home Without It" list?

I've added a quick and dirty poll so it will be easy to see at a glance what percentage of people always carry a particular level of tools with them.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always in the back (tools only)
Metric and SAE wrench set
Multi screw driver
Hex head multi
Torx head multi
Multi tool
2 flashlights (small and large)
Shovel
Hammer of some sort
Lug nut wrench cross
Small pry bar
Jumpers
Funnel
Tire Gauge

Last edited:

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always in my tool box
Jumper cables
Metric only socket set
A small floor jack
A small bottle jack
The oem scissor jack
Tire chains
Tow chains
4 way lug nut wrench
One bottle of motor oil
One jug of radiator fluid
Used radiator hoses
Used set of spark plugs
Flashlights x 3
Funnels x 2
Used serpentine belt
One tape measure
One hammer
Screwdrivers x 2
TP Paper
One bottle of ATF
One tire gage
One spark plug gapper
Walkie Talkie or Two way radio X 1
First Aid Kit
Fuses
Gloves
And on long road trips - Water,A Gas Can, and My Snap - On OBD II SCANNER

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cables, bottle jack, chunks of wood, socket set, heat gun, plastic mallet, BFH, regular hammer, assorted impact sockets, pliers of all types, scan tool, battery powered LED light to work, large + shaped tire iron, heavy duty gloves, fold up shovel, Bear Grylls survival knife, hand chain saw (not powered...interesting little tool), battery terminal cleaners, rags, screwdrivers, tape measurer...

...tennis racket, baseball glove, frisbee... :D

It's actually got most if not all the tools I own.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always carry a basic set of:
wrenches
screwdrivers
pliers
socket set (1/4" and 3/8" drive)
spare tire/plug kit with spare valve stem cores
fuses

the way i keep up with maintenance if anything breaks: it will more than likely require a lot more tools/trip to the parts store

the stuff i keep with me is enough for most basic "roadside/parkling lot" repairs (replacing bulbs, change/plug a tire, replacing simple items under the hood such as the serpentine belt, alternator, tensioner)

more important than tools IMO is a backup plan (as in walk away from a broke down jeep) i carry enough gear for 4 adult occupants to go for 3 days (except food i only throw in mre's or energy bars when im going somewhere more than 5 or 10 miles out of "civilization". included in this setup is a fully stocked medical bag, (could handle everything from paper cuts to high speed lead poisoning) chest rig and a way to hunt for food if i found myself somewhere and was royally fudged.

but more important than all the gear/tools in the world is knowledge. learn how to use stuff and practice in your downtime, don't try to learn something at the exact time when your life may depend on it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont want to inventory the Jeep. It's got out of hand. This is only some of it.
Everything from waterproof matches,fire starters/Jeep lighter to fire extinguisher, Michelin smart jumper cables, inspection light, 12v long cord to battery, a back up huge rechargeable flashlight, small led flashlight, AA mag light, inverter/w/usb charging, first aid kit big one with all kinda extras, form scissors that can open cans, to Aspirin, Polysporin, Iodine, emergency blanket,candles etc, water 6 1L bottles.
then onto spares, drive belt, headlamps, assorted bulbs, fuse kit, steel wire to tie up a hanging muffler etc, tire repair kit & compressor, gloves,shovel, water,food in e-packs, granola bars, (birds like em too) nuts, pouches of coffee,hot chocolate/tea/cream/sugar- paper towels, oils & fluids assorted, & tools well..full 200 piece socket set hammer, all kinds of vice-grips to needle nose, wrench & screwdriver/bit driver kit, 1/2 torque wrench breaker bar/ HD scissor jack, wood blocks, funnels, emery cloth, knives big to small/exacto knives, cloths, glue plasticine /jb weld, antiseize, spare spark plugs, oil filter,(had one hit by road debris before) tire pressure gauge, Tow straps/rope- AA sony small pocket radio w/built in speaker, 5 watt cb radio walkie, Jerry can 5 gal, cell phone w charger, & smaller cooler with beer !!:happy160:
I think I have forgotten more than I added here...:gr_grin: oh ya electrical & large roll of duct tape! red magic marker & cardboard for making a sign.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just your typical handy stuff that I presume most people carry, such as; zip ties, duct tape, rags & towels for mopping up "spills", a long handle shovel, small chain saw, a rug, compass, and large plastic garbage bags (the good non-rip kind).

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a basic set of hand tools. Along with a small selection of trail tools, first aid kit, small "survival kit."

In the winter I throw in heavy boots, wool gloves, stocking hat, and wool blanket.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fire extinguisher
rags and towels
zip ties
electric and duct tape
1/4 3/8 1/2 sae and metric sockets sets
metric and sae combination wrench sets
big hammer
emergency flashing light
2 flashlights and a rechargeable flashlight
tape measure
Allen wrench sets
cable cutter
pliers
slip joint 10" pliers
plastic bags
matches
waterproof first aid kit
rain poncho
mechanic gloves
folding shovel
knife
muti bit screwdriver
4" 30' tow strap with loops
2" 20' tow rope with hooks
rain jacket
blanket

In winter I add another blanket and gloves and hat. More is added for offroad adventures.

****i forgot I always have 12' heavy duty jumper cables

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice a trend. Big or large hammer is in everyone's tool boxes.... Guess our Jeep need some gentle persuasion sometimes.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
As you all might guess, I intend to fill out my tool kit and you guys are giving me some great ideas. Keep 'em coming. :D

I'm starting to notice a trend. Big or large hammer is in everyone's tool boxes.... Guess our Jeep need some gentle persuasion sometimes.
The hammer is probably something I would NOT have included. The fact that everyone seems to think it's a good idea has made me add it to the list.

You all know I have everything but the kitchen sink.
I don't think my list could ever match yours, but then again - it's not fair to rank the amateurs in with the professionals. :icon_lol:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you all might guess, I intend to fill out my tool kit and you guys are giving me some great ideas. Keep 'em coming. :D

The hammer is probably something I would NOT have included. The fact that everyone seems to think it's a good idea has made me add it to the list.

I don't think my list could ever match yours, but then again - it's not fair to rank the amateurs in with the professionals. :icon_lol:

Well make sure you always have a splaner.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I have a splane r which doubles as a extension for a tire iron or breaker bar.
Notice the double wall red steel pipe behind the fire extinguisher...:icon_lol:
50751[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Notice it sits beside the driver.
That way you have easy access just in case you need to explain something immediately :893karatesmiley-thu

Attachments

• JeepPipeFireExtinguisher.jpg
    JeepPipeFireExtinguisher.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.