Help me decide which driving lights to mount on the bull bar

Which

• Single Hella Comet FF200

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm a huge fan of "form follows function" and also "brighter is better", at least in terms of forward lighting and intelligence. ;)

I just mounted the bullbar back on Giddyup and I have TWO pairs of Hella flood lights that I need to choose from.

While of course I recognize some of the lighting advantage of LED light bars and LED spots, I MUCH prefer the aesthetics and color temperature of old school halogen floods, and since I ALREADY own these Hellas, that is what I am trying to choose from, so please no OTHER suggestions.

Though obviously using the pair of Hella Comet FF200 Chromium spots would be optimal just in terms of "straight up hell blazing brightness", I will eventually be modifying Giddyup's eyeballs with HID projectors from a Lexus LS430 as well as her OEM position fog lights with Hella 90mm high beams, which together will create their very own special kind of "phucking wide and deep hell blazing brightness", so I do not necessarily NEED both FF200s mounted on the light bar.

Also, despite the fact that I do like some stately chrome, it seems as if the pair of FF200 are over the top or just excessive in terms of the amount of chrome Giddyup will then be wearing on her face. Though there IS something to say for them in terms of their "Classic OG Jeeping" appearance ... (even if they aren't a full row of 6" KC Daylighters ;)) see picture #1.

I do kind of like the asymmetry of the single FF200 mounted in the center of the bullbar.
It reminds me of a 1948 Tucker "Torpedo" and makes Giddyup look pretty cute. That said, it ALSO reminds me of the Disney movie "Cars" and I am not a huge Disney fan and Giddyup is MORE then cute ... so while I like it, Im mostly ambiguous about the single center mount FF200 as seen in Pic #2.

That said, and jokes aside, I think that I personally prefer the understated symmetry of the closer together FF50s mounted on the bull bar over the wider apart FF50 fogs already mounted low in the bumper. I also think that the smaller pair of Hella FF50 floods will still substantially enhance lighting mid distance and width, which on the curvy and hilly roads that I get to drive everyday, is what I really need in terms of forward lighting ...simply in order to avoid having to eat venison through more then hunting season. see pic 3

So the question is, as stated in the poll, which lights do you prefer the LOOKS of, though of course you might fairly "prefer" the looks of the ones that function "better brighter."

TIA and below are pics to help you judge:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gi with, none of the above. I have a now oldish set of Rigid square driving lights that are still fantastic.

If it was me I'd add floods on the bottom and DL on the top.

BTW - my KJ looks identical, minus the bar.

I really hate the look of those fogs :)

I grew up with everything from Cibie,Lucas and Hella. The new LED are just far superior.

kjkotlar

If it ain't broke, take it apart to find out why.
Reaction score
So I'm a huge fan of "form follows function" and also "brighter is better", at least in terms of forward lighting and intelligence. ;)

I just mounted the bullbar back on Giddyup and I have TWO pairs of Hella flood lights that I need to choose from.

While of course I recognize some of the lighting advantage of LED light bars and LED spots, I MUCH prefer the aesthetics and color temperature of old school halogen floods, and since I ALREADY own these Hellas, that is what I am trying to choose from, so please no OTHER suggestions.

Though obviously using the pair of Hella Comet FF200 Chromium spots would be optimal just in terms of "straight up hell blazing brightness", I will eventually be modifying Giddyup's eyeballs with HID projectors from a Lexus LS430 as well as her OEM position fog lights with Hella 90mm high beams, which together will create their very own special kind of "phucking wide and deep hell blazing brightness", so I do not necessarily NEED both FF200s mounted on the light bar.

Also, despite the fact that I do like some stately chrome, it seems as if the pair of FF200 are over the top or just excessive in terms of the amount of chrome Giddyup will then be wearing on her face. Though there IS something to say for them in terms of their "Classic OG Jeeping" appearance ... (even if they aren't a full row of KC Hilighters ;)) see picture #1.

I do kind of like the asymmetry of the single FF200 mounted in the center of the bullbar.
It reminds me of a 1948 Tucker "Torpedo" and makes Giddyup look pretty cute. That said, it ALSO reminds me of the Disney movie "Cars" and I am not a huge Disney fan and Giddyup is MORE then cute ... so while I like it, Im mostly ambiguous about the single center mount FF200 as seen in Pic #2.

That said, and jokes aside, I think that I personally prefer the understated symmetry of the closer together FF50s mounted on the bull bar over the wider apart FF50 fogs already mounted low in the bumper. I also think that the smaller pair of Hella FF50 floods will still substantially enhance lighting mid distance and width, which on the curvy and hilly roads that I get to drive everyday, is what I really need in terms of forward lighting ...simply in order to avoid having to eat venison through more then hunting season. see pic 3

So the question is, as stated in the poll, which lights do you prefer the LOOKS of, though of course you might fairly "prefer" the looks of the ones that function "better brighter."

TIA and below are pics to help you judge:

I recently went through a similar decision process, round Hellas (500's), oval PIAA's or rectangular Cibie's. Like you, I had them sitting on a shelf in the garage and thought they should be put back to use. My personal opinion is that the Liberty looks best with a circular lamp, so I went with the Hella's. Like I said, that's just my personal opinion and I've talked to others that wouldn't agree.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 2 votes so far...barely enough to overrule mine...come on boys n girls...cough it up!! :)

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
First photo.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Better be...1500 SF but with Giddyup, the ranch truck, a bulldozer, the tracked loader/backhoe and a 4wd forklift, it still BARELY stables everything. :rolleyes:
700 SF here with 4 bike projects, boat, jeep, and machine tools. Tidy isn't easy!

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Ive been outvoted one way or the other.

I'm gonna take a look again tonight, at both appearance and light output, and make a final decision soon.

In the meantime, KEEP voting (but NOT those who already voted ... this isnt the US presidential election :eek: )

Last edited: