Transmission cooling line/hose replacement - options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I noticed a small puddle under the passenger front of my KJ a little while back - week or so. Been getting a little bigger every time I park. I assumed it was the radiator or an engine coolant hose as it's got 70k on it.I finally decided I couldn't be in denial anymore and checked it out tonight.

Ends up that it's the transmission line running to the radiator/cooler.

What are my options here, fellas? Dealer part only? Expensive as hell? Looked at the standard big box stores, and they just seem to have generic transmission hose available there.

I'm extraordinarily short on time right now as I am supposed to be moving this weekend, and the KJ was playing an integral part in that. I am considering just having it taken to the dealer as it needs a trans flush anyway, not to mention the driver's side window regulator is crapping out again. Just curious as to how painful this will be on the finances. If it's ridiculously pricey, I'd be interested in taking care of it myself. I am pretty much hemmoraging money with the house and all at this point.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 hoses
1 is "pressure" or outbound 1 is return
It may be leaking at a fitting due to loose hose clamp
as all they use are spring clamps
I would check that

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They stopped using spring clamps when the 42RLE trans went in,now they use those stupid GM style fittings.

Ed Zachary.

So, is this thing basically a dealer-only item?

EDIT: Troy, saw your response on LOST. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone that comes across this thread in the future...

Going to run me $380 for parts and labor. The lines are allegedly sold as a kit, therefore, they'll replace both of them. ***** that it makes it more expensive, but on the other hand, if one was leaking, I'd be worried the other could soon have issues too. The parts alone are supposedly about $200.

So, I am having trans flush, lines replaced, and window regulator fixed...

Trans Flush - $160
Trans Lines - $380
Regulator(s) - $0

He told me they'd be able to discount a bit since the $380 includes cost related to trans fluid topoff...since I am getting the flush, he'll knock a little cash off since I won't need the new fluid for the lines - I am paying for it via the flush anyway.

Nice thing - they told me they'd replace the driver's window regulator that's bad, but also, they'll inspect all others and replace them if they show pending issues and if they are not the updated design. I know I had the driver's replaced 40k miles ago under warranty, can't remember if the passenger was done. I *think* it was. The rears, I don't think were ever done.