Towing Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Manual says 5000 lbs max towing with class III hitch..(towing package) What is included in the towing package (that I may have to add) to tow if needed (aside from the obvious wiring harness for lights)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A mechanical fan and I believe and custom 3 seed electrical fan came with the tow pack and helps when cooling becomes a problem in summer months while pulling.
There was a recent post of this topic. The Mechanical fan was like $450?
Even though the Kj may be rated for 5000lbs, I would not pull more than 3500 with it and would consider a trailer sway control if its heavy and longer, as the Kj is kinda short wheel base and likes to get blown around by trailers. It aint the most speedy up hills pulling either.
I get to pull my boat next week and also switched the Diff lube to heavier 75W-140 which is recommended by Chrysler as well. Will see what happens on a 100 mile pull. Hopefully no ****** light.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2, in addition a ****** fluid cooler. But that might be different since you have an 02 with the 45RFE.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Libby gas powered c/w the OEM trailer package which included a Class III hitch, a 7 way trailer connection, a two speed electric rad fan, a mechanical clutch rad fan and a transmission cooler.

It is true that you shouldn't max out your towing capacity. I should know because I routinely do it :eek:
You must be registered for see images attach

I can tell you that I have trouble keeping my speed up on long hills. Even with all that weight with the two rad fans and the transmission cooler I don't suffer any overheating problems.

So to answer your question, you will need to add a transmission cooler & a mechanical rad fan if you want to tow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got any photos of the mechanical fan and electrical cooler ? I have never seen one in real life and wish my Kj came with it. Mine does have the stock ****** cooler, and am not sure if there was a difference between one that came with my rig and one that would have come with the tow pack.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need the mechanical fan,it's main function is more cooling at low speeds while towing(like 20mph and less).A AUX trans cooler is a must though,better to have a in-radiator trans cooler then routed to a AUX cooler then back the the trans for best cooling and keeping temp spikes in check.

I towed 4200lbs from Ft Lewis WA to FT Carson CO with my KJ,no mechanical fan but in-radiator trans cooler and 28,000lbs GVWR trans cooler with zero issues.That 1500 mile trip is by no means flat either,lots of long hill climbs.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is some good info there Tj.
So where did you mount (what dimensions) the 28k lb AUX cooler and could you put thermal switch/electrical fan on it? I suppose it gets tied into the return line, what connectors or splice is needed?
Does the AUx cooler effect line pressure at all?

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I will look up all the information above. How about trailer breaks. I am looking at a 21 foot travel trailer... Weight about 4000 lbs. Do most have/need electric breaks?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is some good info there Tj.
So where did you mount (what dimensions) the 28k lb AUX cooler and could you put thermal switch/electrical fan on it? I suppose it gets tied into the return line, what connectors or splice is needed?
Does the AUx cooler effect line pressure at all?
No added fan,not much room for one.It does tie into the return line for my in-radiator trans cooler(only 45RFE equipped KJ's have this).Will not effect line pressures at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks guys... I will look up all the information above. How about trailer breaks. I am looking at a 21 foot travel trailer... Weight about 4000 lbs. Do most have/need electric breaks?
I would highly recommend trailer brakes and more then just the simple surge brakes also.Will need the 7 pin connector.