Suspension (steering issues)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have had for a little while a case of my steering 'tracking' over changes in road seal etc. The shocks (until yesterday) were original. Now, the front feels a little firmer but still have a slight knock and some left hand drift is still evident.:wtf2: I have had a wheel alignment done and the toe and camber etc is all good.
Could it be the bushes for the lower A arm?:think:

Any input appreciated. :favorites25:

Oh, my KJ is an '02 done 94000km (58000 miles).

Oliver

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of tires do you have on and tread depth? Worn evenly? tire pressure set at?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, how much toe is your KJ aligned to? The spec for our KJs is 0.04° - 0.16°. Typically, you will have more road wandering when your tires are aligned closest to parallel. I typically ask the alignment shop to set my toe closer to the top of spec (0.16°) to help with this. When I have had alignments with toe at 0.05°, I had much more "tracking" issues.

Another possibility might be worn tie-rod end ball joints. However, that is not very likely with such low mileage that you have, unless they are really rough miles.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a quick and cheap thing to try, you could swap the front and rear wheels side to side as sometimes the edges wear from the camber on the road and swapping from side to side allows them to sit on the other sides of the tyre and is usually enough to make them track better. Not to be done on high speed tyres as those have a direction of rotation but Jeep ones are ok as they don't have a rotation arrow. Worth a try. :smokin:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a quick and cheap thing to try, you could swap the front and rear wheels side to side as sometimes the edges wear from the camber on the road and swapping from side to side allows them to sit on the other sides of the tyre and is usually enough to make them track better. Not to be done on high speed tyres as those have a direction of rotation but Jeep ones are ok as they don't have a rotation arrow. Worth a try. :smokin:

I did this on my 05 and it helped some. I have other steering issues so it wasn't a 100% cure, but it is drivable until I can get new rack bushings installed.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, how much toe is your KJ aligned to? The spec for our KJs is 0.04° - 0.16°. Typically, you will have more road wandering when your tires are aligned closest to parallel. I typically ask the alignment shop to set my toe closer to the top of spec (0.16°) to help with this. When I have had alignments with toe at 0.05°, I had much more "tracking" issues.

Another possibility might be worn tie-rod end ball joints. However, that is not very likely with such low mileage that you have, unless they are really rough miles.

Howdy,

Well, the tyres are Cooper ATRs and they are 1/3 worn. The alignment is set for .2deg toe which according the FSM is bang on. Caster is just under the 1/2 deg different (with left slightly foward - we are RHD).

Tie rod ends are one option yes. Might climb under and get someone to 'wobble' the steering wheel and see if there is any slop.

I have done a front to rear swap to give me the tyres with the good edges and to see if there are any tracking issues - shown by feathering which I was getting on the now rear tyres. :freak3:

Tyre pressure is set at 34psi.

Oliver

Last edited:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the steering rack. See if it's moving around. Mine moves about 1/2" in either direction and up and down. My rack bushings are shot, but I also have 111,000 miles, 61k of which has been driving to hard over a twisty pothole filled mountain road.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the steering rack. See if it's moving around. Mine moves about 1/2" in either direction and up and down. My rack bushings are shot, but I also have 111,000 miles, 61k of which has been driving to hard over a twisty pothole filled mountain road.
Thats what I was thinking Steering Rack Bushings.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Well, the tyres are Cooper ATRs and they are 1/3 worn. The alignment is set for .2deg toe which according the FSM is bang on. Caster is just under the 1/2 deg different (with left slightly foward - we are RHD).

Tie rod ends are one option yes. Might climb under and get someone to 'wobble' the steering wheel and see if there is any slop.

I have done a front to rear swap to give me the tyres with the good edges and to see if there are any tracking issues - shown by feathering which I was getting on the now rear tyres. :freak3:

Tyre pressure is set at 34psi.

Oliver

Did you swap them side to side at the same time i.e. left rear to front right etc or just front to back on the same side cos if it was just to the same side, nothing much will change as they will still have worn to the camber of the road. They need swapping left to right to get them sat on the other side of the tyre.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hiya Bandit :)

Yep. The fronts got a swap L-> R as well. (libgreen) Will have a look at the rack bushes in the daylight (popcorn). The tyres might need a few miles on 'em to wear in to being on the front.:secret:

WIll keep y'all posted.:sleepy10:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Driver's side steering bushing's busted rubber top flange got cut down.
40257[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

This video shows the movement up and (sideways not good) and the rubber flange that was causing the bolt not to hold tight because of the extra material on this flange forced upwards.
Click on photo to see video.
"]
[/URL]
To make a long story short the sideways movement is gone after cutting away the torn rubber and the bolt is now correctly holding at 125-Ft-lbs.

Attachments

• SteeringBushingBoltOut.jpg
    SteeringBushingBoltOut.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also check your Cv's to see how much slop you got! This is passenger side.
"]
[/URL]

Latest posts

Members online