Should ball joints be replaced in pairs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I heard some suspension noises and found a lower ball joint with a broken boot and it moves a bit when I pry the wheel upwards with a bar. So I was planning to replace it with a Moog ball joint and have a few questions because the jeep still has all original ball joints / bushings as far as I know.

1) Is moog the brand to get?

2)Should I do the lower ball joint on the other side before I get an alignment? Kinda annoyed that I got an alignment 5,000 miles ago when I replaced shocks / springs.

3) should I replace the bushings on the lower control arm while I am replacing the ball joints?

Now I'm thinking about replacing the sway bar links and this thing is spiraling out of control, lol. None of the bushings look torn, but they do look a bit dry.

Looking to see what other experiences are with the lifespan of these rubber parts before I get my alignment this time :emotions34: Mine is an 07 with 95k.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't mess with LCA bushings unless you're getting clunks from them. Could do the sway bar ones, but again I wouldn't mess with it if you're not having issues. Let sleeping dogs lie.

It's better to replace both BJs at once, but if the other one's boot is intact and no signs of play, you could likely wait. Just because one side fails doesn't always mean the other one will right after. It's a gamble though. Moog is a good brand. I forgot which PN I got but make sure the grease zerk is on the side.

As for the alignment, my guess is if it has play in it, the alignment is trashed and will be out of spec once the new BJ holds it in. But, if it's tight and you replace the BJs anyway, the alignment would probably stay ok.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to replace in pairs. For if one is bad the other isn't far behind. So if you just replace the one and have an alignment done. Then in 4 month the other starts to go out then another alignment will need to be done. Paying for 2 alignments is cheaper than 3.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. Sounds like I should replace the two lower ball joints with Moogs and leave the control arm bushings. Thanks for the advice.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the boots are bad the BJ is also bad! no need to test it.

Do you have to change BJs is pairS?? No in Quads lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the boots are bad the BJ is also bad! no need to test it.

Do you have to change BJs is pairS?? No in Quads lol

Not all the time since the boots can get torn/ripped for many reasons and if you catch it quick enough you may just need new boots if the ball joint does not have any play.Sealed ball joints like the ones that come stock I'd say yes since you can't really grease them after changing the boot but on grease able ones you can get away with it almost every time if no play.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all the time since the boots can get torn/ripped for many reasons and if you catch it quick enough you may just need new boots if the ball joint does not have any play.Sealed ball joints like the ones that come stock I'd say yes since you can't really grease them after changing the boot but on grease able ones you can get away with it almost every time if no play.

IMO if the boot is broken its a sign to change the part! It means the part is old & contaminated. not the best idea to clean the part, replace the grease and buy a boot.
If you can change the BJ yourself, it shouldnt be an issue. but if you're a used car salesman ....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if the boot is broken its a sign to change the part! It means the part is old & contaminated. not the best idea to clean the part, replace the grease and buy a boot.
If you can change the BJ yourself, it shouldnt be an issue. but if you're a used car salesman ....

Like I said a boot can be torn/ripped many ways that does not mean it's bad or worn.

Guess you never drove through cornfields,no boot(ball joint,tie rod end,or CV axle) is safe.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said a boot can be torn/ripped many ways that does not mean it's bad or worn.

Guess you never drove through cornfields,no boot(ball joint,tie rod end,or CV axle) is safe.

Driving through someone's cornfields around here your ball joints are the least of your worries, as you will be attracting some 00-buck all over your jeep.....LOL

Dave

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cornfield is gonna impact corn & husks dirt etc into your parts right after the rubber boots are busted. thats not good!

Did the OP break the boot in a cornfield? I thought it was just wear n tear.