second altenator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MARIN

Reaction score
Hello to all off you! I wish you a good new year.
I want to put a second altenator in my Jeep ( 2003 , 3.7 L ) because i will put two round le lights with 640 Watts (both )!
Does any one did that?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone with a dual alternator in KJ.
640 watts is= to a 53 amp draw on 12 volt system.
The KJ Sport alternator is 136 amps and the Renegade is 160 amp alt outputs.
Most would just use a good virgin lead/AGM battery like an Odyssey PC-1500 -34/78 and you should be just fine.
58175[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Of course instead of using high wattage incandescent/halogen bulbs, finding an acceptable set of efficient off road LED lights, or light bar, would be highly recommended !
Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

Attachments

• Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into doing this my self, but the main issue is space under the jeep hood. And the only good high output alternator are made by DC power. Another problem is that the jeeps internal voltage regulator will not support a second alternator, so you will need to switch to a external voltage regulator like I have.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dc power sounds interesting. I had an alternator built by Quality Power.
DC power is located in Riverside CA and Quality power is from Yucaipa CA are they related?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the two company's are not in any way related, and the two companies make different alternators. I know that dc power actually makes a larger alternator case and they also use denso parts. Dc power is also a defense contractor.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dc power is also a defense contractor.

Learn something new every day... wonder if that's what the DC stands for? :D

Gotta say though, second alternator does sound like a cool idea, but like it's been stated, I think it'd be kinda hard to find room in our engine bay to mount one up in a way that could be routed intelligently with a belt.

Would be nice though, but instead why not just get a high output alt and external regulator, and make sure that your charging system is up to ***** with no added resistance anywhere or system drains/parasitic draws... id imagine that there's not really much need for a second alternator on these because of led lighting (if that's what the OP is referring to)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For just two off-road lights, way easier ways to handle this than adding a second alternator that really isn't even needed for the two lights that you mention.

There is a reason why you don't see this done all the time on vehicles with tons of electrical gear. Two alternators are usually only found in industrial applications and car stereo competitions.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running a Mechman 270a alternator with the pcm charging tables changed to maintain a constant 14.4v. I'm running 6-8k watts total on a pair of XS d3400 agm and never drop below 13.7v at idle

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Drifterz1973

Reaction score
Im running a Mechman 270a alternator with the pcm charging tables changed to maintain a constant 14.4v. I'm running 6-8k watts total on a pair of XS d3400 agm and never drop below 13.7v at idle

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
If your still available I could use some advice on what you did with your audio install

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your still available I could use some advice on what you did with your audio install
no idea on the alternator,but if you click on a poster’s icon, you can see the last time he / she was on. your poster hasnt been seen since 2018 logged on.

Drifterz1973

Reaction score
Hello to all off you! I wish you a good new year.
I want to put a second altenator in my Jeep ( 2003 , 3.7 L ) because i will put two round le lights with 640 Watts (both )!
Does any one did that?
Message me, I have what your looking for