Roof rack low profile

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the lift is on my roof rack bangs against my garage door top.

I have a generic brand roof rack and cross bars - performs well but, I was wondering is there's still a low profile roof rack for the KJ available that does NOT need cross bars installed and does not break the bank?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When finances allow, I'm going to get the sport rack here: Contact Us

Might be something like what your looking for.

Don't know why it says "contact us"' but link works.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if hes still making things, lots more poeple that know him better will chime in. And that might break the bank depending on the size of your bank hah. Theres the rola rack but requires cross bars.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There're trucks I can lift for this price. My 90$ roof rack has nothing wrong and serves its purpose well only it's too high for my driveway with the cross bars on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There're trucks I can lift for this price. My 90$ roof rack has nothing wrong and serves its purpose well only it's too high for my driveway with the cross bars on.

I can lift a truck for 50 bucks, but will it last 10 years? Doubt it, like anything else you get what you pay for. I had a couple of the cheap racks over the years, looked good, hold 50 -60 lb maybe, but rusted , weak etc.
Had two different RL racks I could jump up and down on them load what ever on and no movement. Had one on the last XJ I paid 550 for back in 2000, solid as a rock .
Drop the rack down lower, first cheapo rack I had on the KJ bottom of the rack sat even with the cross rails

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can lift a truck for 50 bucks, but will it last 10 years? Doubt it, like anything else you get what you pay for. I had a couple of the cheap racks over the years, looked good, hold 50 -60 lb maybe, but rusted , weak etc.
Had two different RL racks I could jump up and down on them load what ever on and no movement. Had one on the last XJ I paid 550 for back in 2000, solid as a rock .
Drop the rack down lower, first cheapo rack I had on the KJ bottom of the rack sat even with the cross rails

I agree with tom. I too have a cheap ebay rack and it works great for me for what it is and i have mounted it lower than normal. Basically you flip how the crossbars mount to the basket. My crossbars go through my rack and sit on the factory rails, "hanging" the rack from them instead of them "carrying" the rack. Ill get a picture for you tomorrow. At the end of the day, the rack sits lower so i can fit in my garage and i get less pull from the wind and its probably stronger than carrying the weight. Any decent size weight that goes up there sits directly on my crossbars (superstrut is capable of holding more weight than my rack could) . It also looks better imo.

Also, dont have a great amount of trust for rl after many members getting screwed. Have some plans sitting in the garage to build a rack that replaces the whole factory rails and my rack.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can make your own crossbars from fence posts and T junctions. That'll get the rack down a few inches.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clearance issue.......is it an inch or a foot? (garage door and/or metal door hanger rails mod?)

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Heres the el-cheapo I had for a short time
You must be registered for see images attach

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres how mines mounted. Nice and low. The back **just** kisses my garage door... after i took the handle off. Im lifted 2.5ish with 245s and i just go slow.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres how mines mounted. Nice and low. The back **just** kisses my garage door... after i took the handle off. Im lifted 2.5ish with 245s and i just go slow.

Ahh cool trick, drewwenmoth.. I'll give it a try..
I guess I need two people for that - so I won't have to place the rack on the truck's roof while sliding the cross bars through it.. (since its way narrower than the KJ's roof rails)

Dave - it's an inch thing, probably even less.

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted the crossbars to the basket then set it on the factory rails to avoid that issue [emoji2]

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Know what you mean about being close
If I came in that garage a little too hot you could hear it just touch
4 inch lift with 32s and the RL rack

Latest posts

Members online