Rola Roof Basket Arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0240kliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to find me a set of mud flaps. your kj looks very nice! makes me need to find a way to get one of the baskets now!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Steel Rola basket 2017 update...Wish I would have bought an aluminum basket!
Water got in though the center seams over the winter. So much for the waterproofing silicone.
The dripping rust water has been collecting on the roof and making quite the mess.
Removed basket and removed screws holding the deflector on to drain the water, that resembled oxide mud. About 2-3 quarts came out.
I guess the basket is going to have to come apart, split into the original 2 sections and start over, this time with marine polyurethane sealant.
Then re-paint or consider bed lining or something.
The last quote for bedliner on the Rola was about $175, which is costly.
It is probably rusted together. So splitting it apart should be interesting..
I think I know how to get it apart! :gr_grin:
59000[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• BF%20Sledge%20Hammer.jpg
    BF%20Sledge%20Hammer.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water got in though the center seams over the winter. So much for the waterproofing silicone.
The dripping rust water has been collecting on the roof and making quite the mess.
Removed basket and removed screws holding the deflector on to drain the water, that resembled oxide mud. About 2-3 quarts came out.
I guess the basket is going to have to come apart, split into the original 2 sections and start over, this time with marine polyurethane sealant.
59002[/ATTACH]"]

Nice BFH TC............:happy175:

Dave

Attachments

BF%20Sledge%20Hammer.jpg

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Water got in though the center seams over the winter. So much for the waterproofing silicone.
The dripping rust water has been collecting on the roof and making quite the mess...
I get the same thing on my Rage Black Widow. It's become part of my regular spring maintenance now.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
59028[/ATTACH]"]

Well that *****. Marine sealant is likely a good idea at the seams.. that should help.

Also, love a good BFH!

Attachments

BF%20Sledge%20Hammer.jpg

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rola logo on the faring is silkscreened...you can take it off with some solvent.
What type of solvent?
I know it's been 5 years since that question was asked, but the question is still open. I got my Rola basket in today and I'd like to get that logo off somehow. The rear logo was just a sticker and peeled right off. The fairing is not going to be that easy. I think solvent would do it, but not just any old solvent. Some solvent could potentially melt the fairing, others could do absolutely nothing. Does anyone know the right solvent to use? It's not like there's safe place, out of sight, to try it out. :help:

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acetone will usually take silkscreening off without too much effort. I've only used it on metal parts however.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Try Goo-Gone but use a q-tip and just twist it on its end like it were a drill bit. That way if it causes a problem it will at least be a very, very tiny one. If that doesn't get it you might switch to Goof-Off and test it the same way. I would wash it down good with lots of plain water afterwards. Even if it looks like there is no problem, I would wait at least a day before doing the rest in case it causes the plastic to cloud up.

Note:
It occurred to me after writing this that I've been meaning to get the R.A.G.E. logo (Rage Powersports) off of mine for years now. Since I have both of the substances I mentioned on hand I may try and test it tomorrow morning. After 3.5 years and 3.5 million bugs mine looks less-than-new anyway, so I don't mind being the guinea pig. If I mess it up I'll do what I originally planned and turn it around so the logo is on the back.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm guessing both of you men have some nail polish in your tool boxes:mwah1: , try it, even though it has acetone in it, it might be enough to get the logo off and not hurt the base finish. Worked well on getting a bad paint job off an old EHX Memory Man stompbox while leaving the original finish underneath in good shape. Pure acetone wanted to eat the original finish too.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing both of you men have some nail polish in your tool boxes:mwah1: ...
Natch. But if I use it up removing a logo on Saturday morning I might not have any left for Saturday night. :cocktail:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Be interesting to hear what does remove the Rola sikscreen. Goo-Be-gone sounds good.
I was too lazy...I just spray painted 3 coats of rust paint over top of deflector.
59439[/ATTACH]"]

Don't see Rola anymore. :gr_grin:

Attachments

• Rola%20Basket%20painted.jpg
    Rola%20Basket%20painted.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try some d-limonene to remove any remaining sticker goo. It's made from orange peels I believe. Safe to drink. Don't ask me how I know that.

We use it at work to remove the adhesive that holds the glass to lcd screens.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I probably should have mentioned that my definition of "morning" is different than most people's as I work an afternoon/evening shift. Anyway, I do finally have something to report.

Tried the Goo-Gone and it didn't faze it at all. Smelled nice, though. I did not expect much, but since it was likely to be the safest for the finish I figured I'd start there.

The Goof Off (my can says "pro strength", but I doubt it matters) had that stuff coming off like chalk on a sidewalk in a steady rain. I'm glad I had put a trash bag underneath or it would have run right down onto the roof of the Jeep. I used a paper towel and tried to stick to a small area. The first pass loosened all the paint and it made a big swirly milky-white mess. A second pass cleaned that right up. Total time of the job was about three minutes.

I never like the logo on there and wish I had done this when I first got it. (If you were wondering, R.A.G.E. stands for "Racks, Accessories and GEar", an unwieldy backronym if I ever saw one.) You would have to be up close to see it (once I got down off the ladder it wasn't really noticeable), but the part that had the letters over it is a deeper shade of (non-faded) black than the rest.

Now I need to finish the off-road light project I started late last summer and really have the top end looking right. :)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never like the logo on there and wish I had done this when I first got it. (If you were wondering, R.A.G.E. stands for "Racks, Accessories and GEar", an unwieldy backronym if I ever saw one.) )

Always wonder how some of those companies come up with the names .

Like ARB, once you know its a very " uninteresting " story :icon_razz::emotions34:

Oh and so you don't have to look it up, ARB stands for Anthony Ronald Brown , the owner