Rola Roof Basket, Tubing Size??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has the Rola roof basket that eTrailer sells for $159, can you tell me the size of the front bottom tube on it? I was thinking if i got one of them i could use a couple of tubular light mounts to add some driving lights on the roof, but i can't find what the outside dimension of that lower tube is and the mounts are made in different sizes.

I thought it would look neat to put a light on either side of the wind fairing on the front of the basket.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll go out and measure mine for ya. What do you need, the OD ?

OK the OD measurement of the lower front tube is 1 1/2"...that's actually the whole frame tube size, the cross pieces are smaller.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go out and measure mine for ya. What do you need, the OD ?

OK the OD measurement of the lower front tube is 1 1/2"...that's actually the whole frame tube size, the cross pieces are smaller.

Yes, thats what i needed the OD...

Thanks bud i appreciate it!!

Looks like the upper tube is a bit smaller in the picture so i wanted to check on the size so i can start getting some parts ready!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a two piece design with screws to clamp it tight, looks like rubber around the inside to keep it from scratching and slipping.

I got the brackets ordered and the Rola roof basket from eTrailer.

Now i just have to finish hunting down the crossbar. I have one factory crossbar that i bought on a whim at the junkyard, they only had one, and now i need to find one more. Would be nice to just find another stock crossbar instead of buying or building something else. But i might end up building to save money.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
That's what I did, build my own for $10-15. They work perfect and are strong as you need, just a little too high for my liking, but for the price I will live with it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to try building the ones that guys are making with the chain link fence rail and those clamp-on Tee fittings.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the light mounts today, good looking pieces! The Rola basket will be here via UPS later today so i can get started on installing the lights on it. Should have a used set of crossbars i got on LOST next week, its all coming together.

I was going to build a set of crossbars, but the cost with ordering parts online and buying some stuff locally to make a set was more than the used set i bought so i will go with that!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the mounting clamps this morning and the Rola basket showed up this afternoon. Talk about good timing!

The wind fairing and the light mounts are on, i like it! Those clamp on nice and tight, good quality, they were worth the price. Now i just have to finish installing the lights on the front half and put it together. Going to drill and grommet holes for the lights and run the wiring inside the tubing of the basket to hide it all.

Just some quick pics from my phone...

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, think I will get me some of those. Thanks for the heads up.:D

No problem!

They sure are a lot nicer then i thought they would be, pretty thick aluminum, allen head bolts and they even come with an allen wrench.

The only thing i could see one running into for a problem on those mounts is overtightening the bolt and taking out the threads of the softer aluminum, but the bolt goes through far enough that you could easily put on a lock washer and nut, or a nylock nut. Come to think of it, i think i will put one on there so they can't back out or loosen up!