Resetting the Estimated MPG on the EVIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I was on the way home and was flipping through the EVIC. I meant to hit the CT to return it to the direction and temperature, when I mistakenly reset the estimated MPG. It immediately shot from in the 17's to 33. My eyes went wide open! "Cool!" Then it immediately dropped down to 25 and then settled in the 24's. I was just driving easy at about 50 mph on a two lane country road. It was down to 21 by the time I was home.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would drive me nuts. I am one of those guys that likes to measure things over the life of the vehicle. #-o

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
If you push reset twice it will clear everything out. It will also chime twice too.

I do this for every fill up, so that I know what I am getting per tank.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
of course, for this to really get to me, I would actually have to have an EVIC. ](*,)

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
If you push reset twice it will clear everything out.
Bennett

Except "Service interval" which has to be reset separately. :-k

Resetting your MPG can show mileage performance on trips, commutes, or segments of your route. When you reset it, it starts all over again from that point until you reset it again. \:D/

You can do the same thing with miles to find out the shortest route, etc. (use your trip odometer in the dash to log miles between fill-ups). drive.gif

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reset mine as well, but I was not aware that hitting it twice cleared them all. Thanks for the tip!

Jeep definitely has the estimated miles to go set low... It says zero when the reserve chimes... which isn't that at about 3 gallons?

I think I read that it figures miles to go by the last three tanks. But as much as gas prices go up and down, I rarely let it get to the chime!

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
If you push reset twice it will clear everything out. It will also chime twice too.

I do this for every fill up, so that I know what I am getting per tank.

Bennett

ditto. per tank is more useful to me.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miles remaining

According to the owners manual, 'miles to empty' is calculated by "multiplying the amount of fuel remaining by projected fuel economy. The distance will change every few seconds...as these factors change."

To explore the idea, I let the fuel gauge go to empty while watching the 'fuel remaining' display. Indeed, it fluxuated slightly with accelerations and grades (up to about 14 miles remaining). It bounced down to 0 a couple of times and finally stayed at 0 when the fuel gauge was right on empty. I drove another 20 miles to my usual gas station (with my fingers crossed) and fulled up with 17.1 gal. (19.5 gal tank) -- made sure it was full. Went 368 mi. (a record for me).

Low fuel chime went off first. It seems to run directly off the tank, supposedly chiming with 2.7 gal. remaining. Remember that up and down hills, you will not have all your remaining fuel available!