Rear turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So the bulb is a 3757....and I plan to get that tomorrow...my main question is:

Are there any tips on removing the tail light? I removed the torx screws, and it budged only a bit. Any tips?

TIA

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull on it. It will pop out. But when it it releases stop quick so you don't yank on the wires. give it short quick tugs. That usually works for me.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure your screwdriver has a good magnet to it, because you will drop the screw on driver side and it will go into a little crack in the rear bumper cover and you will never find it again. :) I drove around with one screw for a while, it doesn't make much difference.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the bulb is a 3757....and I plan to get that tomorrow...my main question is:

Are there any tips on removing the tail light? I removed the torx screws, and it budged only a bit. Any tips?

TIA

The tail light has what are called 'ball studs' in it. I am not a subscriber to the 'pull harder, not smarter' philosophy on anything, but this is a rare case where you need to do exactly this.

Unscrew the torx screws, put them aside. Your taillight will be 'loose and wobbly' but won't come off. From here, grab hold of it firmly and pull back-- it takes a fair amount of force and strength, but it will eventually pop off. And yes, as it pops off it will sound ugly-- like cracking plastic.

The next time you pull it off it should be easier. The ball stud inserts kind of 'wear' a little bit each time you pull it off. My Chiltons manual even indicates that you may have to replace the ball studs everytime you remove the taillight. I've only replaced one side taillight and the ball studs weren't quite as tight after putting it back on. Personally, I take a negative view of the ball stud concept on a taillight, but someone can probably dig up a good reason why they use them.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I end up using a flat head screwdriver to pry along the edge of the housing, taking care to use a towel or something between the screwdriver and the paint. It seems to be less of a chore to remove it that way.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I end up using a flat head screwdriver to pry along the edge of the housing, taking care to use a towel or something between the screwdriver and the paint. It seems to be less of a chore to remove it that way.

Did exactly that the first time I pulled my taillight off because I couldn't pry it off the ball studs ( I was convinced that something was 'wrong' and if I pulled too hard it would break something). Put a crack in the light housing. While if it worked for you, coyote, bravo, but I wouldn't recommend that, even with a towel.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the torx screws out, tugged on the housing until it creaked and stopped because I thought I was breaking something; took it to the stealership and ******* until they replaced the burned-out bulb for free because it was a "wear-and-tear safety requirement that is not replaceable by the owner".

My words, not theirs.

LOL

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you, Andy. It will feel and sound like it's breaking but it will come off.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this nifty set of pry bars at Harbor Freight for doing all kinds of interior work. They worked quite well when I pulled the rear interior to instal the wiring harnes for my trailer lights ( I bought one of those that "T"s into the existing harness at the body connector).

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-95214.html

Works well for popponig those tail lights out too.

I'm sure I'll use them again when I repair my window regulator...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.