Tail Light Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perspective

Reaction score
Good evening,

My 2006 Jeep Liberty just recently had the drivers side tail light stop working. All other lights work on the driver and passenger side. I pulled the entire rear light harness that sits behind the bumper. It appears I have continuity through everything and that the problem may be before the entire rear light harness. I was confused though because it seems that there are two white/orange wires that go to the passenger side running light but not to the driver side.

Does anyone have anything that identifies the wire colors for passenger and drivers side rear lights? I think I identified them but it difficult to tell since the driver side doesn’t work.

I had a trailer light module plugged in between the rear harness and removed to see if that was my problem but that didn’t solve anything.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can find, the drivers side park lamps use a pink wire with a white stripe. Is the socket burnt or partially melted?

Perspective

Reaction score
From what I can find, the drivers side park lamps use a pink wire with a white stripe. Is the socket burnt or partially melted?
Thanks I’m going to spend the morning doing some more troubleshooting and work my why through everything again. I’ll get back on when post what I find. Thanks for the help.

Perspective

Reaction score
Should have been pink wire red stripe
That is correct. That is the wire I identified while testing. Well, last night when I was checking my fuses and looking at the identification on the fuse panel I mistakenly mirrored the schematic with the actual fuses. The 7 fuse is definitely blown. Probably happened while I was troubleshooting my trailer the other day.

At least I know how to pull my bumper off now, hah. Could’ve saved myself some trouble by checking the easy stuff.

You asking if my license plate light was working really got me back on the right track and saved me from taking it to my auto electric shop. Much appreciated.

Solved

Last edited:

Perspective

Reaction score
Yep, sure did. I thought it was my wiring harness and wanted to see the wires. After testing continuity, I realized it wasn’t the wire. Because it was only one light, I never thought about a fuse being bad.

turbobike

Reaction score
Good evening,

My 2006 Jeep Liberty just recently had the drivers side tail light stop working. All other lights work on the driver and passenger side. I pulled the entire rear light harness that sits behind the bumper. It appears I have continuity through everything and that the problem may be before the entire rear light harness. I was confused though because it seems that there are two white/orange wires that go to the passenger side running light but not to the driver side.

Does anyone have anything that identifies the wire colors for passenger and drivers side rear lights? I think I identified them but it difficult to tell since the driver side doesn’t work.

I had a trailer light module plugged in between the rear harness and removed to see if that was my problem but that didn’t solve anything.

turbobike

Reaction score
that left stop lite is an ongoing problem. I'm on my 3rd lamp socket....they just keep overheating and the bulb contact points in the socket burn, I even replaced the whole lamp housing once. I was stopped by a local police officer the last time. He said he has a Jeep, and has the same problem. No ticket..just "get it fixed".

Perspective

Reaction score
that left stop lite is an ongoing problem. I'm on my 3rd lamp socket....they just keep overheating and the bulb contact points in the socket burn, I even replaced the whole lamp housing once. I was stopped by a local police officer the last time. He said he has a Jeep, and has the same problem. No ticket..just "get it fixed".
Agreed but not sure why the bulbs are so hot besides the fact they are halogen. My sockets are all burnt and one even melted but adjusting the contacts has kept them working so far.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2004 I had replace bulb Good evening,

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

On my 2004 I had to replace the bulb holder that screws into the plastic lense housing

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I doubt they're halogen, all the ones I've seen have been regular incandescent bulbs. I'm not even sure you can get twin filament halogen bulbs.

The problem is not, despite appearances, heat but the design of the sockets &, in particular, their contacts. The problem is so bad on WJ's, which are very similar, you can get repair kits, presumably because they are more popular. Having had one, why, is another mystery like why the right tail light seems to be more susceptible.

Perspective

Reaction score
I doubt they're halogen, all the ones I've seen have been regular incandescent bulbs. I'm not even sure you can get twin filament halogen bulbs.

The problem is not, despite appearances, heat but the design of the sockets &, in particular, their contacts. The problem is so bad on WJ's, which are very similar, you can get repair kits, presumably because they are more popular. Having had one, why, is another mystery like why the right tail light seems to be more susceptible.
You’re right incandescent. My right tail light is the one that melted a little but I was able to trim some plastic and bend the tabs to keep them working. I’ve got 228,000 miles so I’m just trying to keep things working. If something is broken, I’ll replace but if I can keep it working without replacing, I will.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

try autozone brake light socket part # 700! This was the isssue with my liberty

Members online

No members online now.