rear lower control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got the replacements today.
Any tips to getting these replaced?
Just do it on flat ground. Put Jack stands under the frame just in front of the control arm mounts. Put the jack under the differential. Take the wheels off and let the axle hang down a little but not full droop.

Then swap one side at a time. Don't torque the bolts until you have the vehicle weight on them. Sometimes a ratchet strap or second set of hands can help if the axle shifts at all and needs to be pulled back into alignment for the lca bolt holes. Having the jack under the differential will help with moving it around.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do it on flat ground. Put Jack stands under the frame just in front of the control arm mounts. Put the jack under the differential. Take the wheels off and let the axle hang down a little but not full droop.

Then swap one side at a time. Don't torque the bolts until you have the vehicle weight on them. Sometimes a ratchet strap or second set of hands can help if the axle shifts at all and needs to be pulled back into alignment for the lca bolt holes. Having the jack under the differential will help with moving it around.

Thanks.
Do the shocks need to be unbolted?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is where I am with the replacement.

I already have both new RLCA in place with the bolts in the mounting point with the nuts threaded in up to the top thread of the stover lock nut. They have not been tighten at all.

I made the mistake of removing both RLCA instead of doing one side at a time. When i had both RLCA unbolted at the same, the rear axle had rotated slightly (counter clock wise, looking from the top down on the jeep) with the driverside moving to the rear as I slid the passenger side forward to get its RLCA in place.

With the rear axles on jack stands, the passenger side RLCA can move freely when I shake it by hand but the other has no freedom of movement.

Does it matter if one RLCA can freely move (as in when I jiggle the whole LCA by hand and it can move) with rear axles on jack stands and the other cannot before I start tightening the nut to spec?

Or what's the proper installation procedure to wrap this up given where I am.

Thank you.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would lower it down, with everything loose and rock it around a little bit to settle it. Then jack it back up and see if they both move freely. If so, then lower it and torque everything.

Is it possible that one of the LCA mounts isn't as open as the other and is creating some binding? I had that happen with one of my shock mounts.

So with the jackstands on the frame rail, I did try and lower the rear axle. I got it to a certain point that both RLCA could shake freely but did not let the whole axle hang loose since I wasn't sure if that was okay to do. The FSM warned against doing that.

I think I'll start a thread before my issue is buried in this thread.

Thanks

I meant even put the wheels on it and put it normal height.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ,

Are you saying to just lower the how rear axle down and let it hang momentarily to get it back to position?

Thanks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think either jack it up more to simulate normal height (so a stock KJ should be 19.5" from hub to fender in the back) and see if that settles it or put the wheels on and put it on the ground. When these flex, the axle can twist slightly. If you look at pics of flexed KJs, the rear axle always moves back and forth a little bit. At ride height it centers back out.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think either jack it up more to simulate normal height (so a stock KJ should be 19.5" from hub to fender in the back) and see if that settles it or put the wheels on and put it on the ground. When these flex, the axle can twist slightly. If you look at pics of flexed KJs, the rear axle always moves back and forth a little bit. At ride height it centers back out.

hmm... okay.
I suppose I could try that and hopefully things will roll back in place.