Power Lock Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power lock fuse blows everytime I lock or unlock my Jeep. It happens when I use the FOB, when I use either button inside the Jeep, and when the automatic locks well... lock. Any sugesdtions on how to hunt down the short. I hate to start pulling door panels when I dont even know what to look for besides a loose wire.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power lock fuse blows everytime I lock or unlock my Jeep. It happens when I use the FOB, when I use either button inside the Jeep, and when the automatic locks well... lock. Any sugesdtions on how to hunt down the short. I hate to start pulling door panels when I dont even know what to look for besides a loose wire.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

You probably have a wire chaffing to chassis somewhere near to one of the doors. You can download the complete Service Manual including circuit diagrams here...about 63 Mb in size. Download the KJ year nearest to your model.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I pulled all of the door panels. With lots of trial and error (I'm glad I bought the 25 pack of fuses instead on the 10). Everything works if the drivers rear lock actuator is unplugged. Can I deduce that the actuator is bad or could there still be something in the bcm or the wiring up to the actuator?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I pulled all of the door panels. With lots of trial and error (I'm glad I bought the 25 pack of fuses instead on the 10). Everything works if the drivers rear lock actuator is unplugged. Can I deduce that the actuator is bad or could there still be something in the bcm or the wiring up to the actuator?

Sounds like the actuator is bad.

If you have a Multi-meter check the resistance reading of the actuator and compare it to the other actuators...that said though, the actuator could short out only when it moves.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what I did with the turn signal flasher that got stuck off and whack it...been working just fine since.

Odd the part would fail to a shorted state...might have been a bad component. I'd take it apart to see where the problem is. Maybe someone sat on the keyfob and it fried the actuator.

Last edited: