P0944 and P0876

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 Renegade. Auto, 4wd, 95K.......

Hi guys. I almost NEVER post here because well I never have problems that I cannot solve.

So there's my codes ^^^

Symptoms: Start vehicle (cold engine) and the ****** seems like it's stuck in 2nd gear?? Once it's warmed up, runs and drives PERFECT.

Checked the ****** fluid. It reads NOTHING even when warmed up. So I added about 2 oz. of fluid and it reads topped off. Strange.

But once the Jeep is warmed up... Nothing wrong.

I did change the transmission oil pan gasket at the beginning of the summer, because it was leaking. Replaced the filter along with it. No leaks at all, anywhere, but still seem to be losing ****** fluid somehow.

I'm tearing into this thing tomorrow as I have some other maintenance to do, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If no fluid is on the trans dipstick it will take way more then 2oz to get to the correct level.From the bottom of the hash marks to the top of the hash marks is 1 pint(8oz).

Make sure you are checking the fluid level correctly,trans in "N" on level ground and after driving for at least 30-60mins.It may take 10mins or longer after adding fluid to get a correct reading as the ATF will stay stuck to the tube walls and give false readings.Also make sure you shift through all the gears at least twice before checking after adding fluid.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If no fluid is on the trans dipstick it will take way more then 2oz to get to the correct level.From the bottom of the hash marks to the top of the hash marks is 1 pint(8oz).

Make sure you are checking the fluid level correctly,trans in "N" on level ground and after driving for at least 30-60mins.It may take 10mins or longer after adding fluid to get a correct reading as the ATF will stay stuck to the tube walls and give false readings.Also make sure you shift through all the gears at least twice before checking after adding fluid.

I topped it off when I changed the filter. Withe no leaks, why is it still low?

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to bump my own thread... or even answer my own question for that matter...

But I think I have figured this out. The lower transmission cooler line seems to have been leaking EVER - SO - SLOWLY.... I replaced that and topped off the fluid. Hopefully, it's for good this time.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... or not.

Hopefully I'll get a solid reply this time.

Transmission isn't acting funny, yet, but same as before, the engine stalls if you come to a stop too fast.

Now it's worse. Gotta keep my foot on the gas (just a little) to keep from stalling out.

I've replaced the IAC and found several cracked vacuum lines (which I've replaced.

I've been searching for a solution to this online and here but no luck.

Anyone??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low trans fluid level is the cause of your 1st code(P0944).

The 2nd code(P0876) can be caused by P0944 and it most commonly is caused by a failed soliniod in the range selector pack or a bad check valve in the valve body.This code is is more for if you have the 45RFE trans and being you have a '03 you could have the 45RFE or 42RLE trans.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.