Glad to be here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been quietly lurking as a nonmember for more then a few years now, ever since buying my well loved and occasionally hated
You must be registered for see images attach
2005 Jeep Liberty KJ LTD CRD lightly used and gently cared for in 2015. MOST of my not so free time is spent on TDR and cumminsForum discussing the finer points of maintaining and lightly modifying the mighty Cummins ISB CTD and the requisite Mopar frame that it is attached too.

That said, I bought my 2005 KJ CRD aka "Giddyup" from a Mopar mechanic in So Cal who had purchased her from a startled customer when she was towed into the dealer at 135k with a "no start" condition. When said customer received the $4k repair estimate for the broken timing belt and all associated parts, they balked and simply bought another vehicle from the same dealership. Mr Mechanic bought the CRD for salvage from his boss, fixed her up with all new Mopar engine parts as needed, and ended up with another Jeep in his growing car collection. That said, within a year he needed to thin his herd and thats when I bought her for $7500 in decent cosmetic and excellent running shape with 142k on her

I have done mostly only maintenance repairs since, including brake replacement and suspension work, but having put on another 100k, now its time for the half monte TB install. Unfortunately, upon removing the IC/hoses, I found substantial oil in them and upon checking the turbo, I found excessive axial play ...necessitating a Sasquatch turbo install as well more money spent on more Silicone hoses. Oh yeah, 2 of the OEM 7v ceramic glow plugs had thrown a DTC and I found broken tips upon set replacement.

In for a penny, in for a pound... so after searching here more to gain insight into some of my problems, I also decided to do DieselJeepLuvr's modded thermostat upgrade and then also a 3.7 V6 11 blade fan install to keep the radiator running cooler while the engine gets to run a little hotter

Anyhows, that's where I'm at... with about 75% of the work complete, and the remainder ONLY on the "FINALLY put it all back together side!!!" instead of mostly on the "dammit gotta tear it down more" side.

MUCH appreciate the helpful attitudes and quick replies that Ive gotten on this forum so far and am looking to contribute a but more as I get my Jeep AND my health back.

Last edited:

kylejeep

Reaction score
Welcome. Good to hear your health is improving as well as your Jeep project.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update --

:D I got her test started today...

...AFTER the various and most important engine parts were properly bolted back onto the block, but BEFORE replacing the front timing cover, or any of the rest of the other various but less important parts like the alternator, vibration damper, serpentine belt, idlers, tensioner, fan, fan idler, radiator and coolant, IC and IC hoses, airbox, air filter ... ;) :eek:

Yet despite pre-lubing the new turbo, I STILL needed to check for actual oil flow through the turbo supply line, as well as check and adjust final tension on the new timing belt. For reasons I still don’t understand , cranking the starter for many multiple 10 second intervals with the crankshaft sensor unplugged, may have set the tension on the new timing belt, but did not reveal ANY oil flowing at the loose banjo bolt on top of the turbo.

Instead of continuing dry cranking, I decided it was time to actually idle her up while still keeping the turbo shaft from spinning. In a rare display of common sense, instead of using my fingers or a screwdriver jammed into the impeller, I actually used needle nose vise-grips on the turbo axle shaft nut and then zip tied them to the viscous heater to keep it from spinning even at idle ;)

With the crankshaft sensor plugged back in, and the oil supply banjo bolt still loosened on the turbo, I had my excellent helper daughter turn the key to start ... EUREKA... within moments of start up, I witnessed a veritable gusher of oil flowing to the turbo. This resulted in a sharp yell of excitement from me, which resulted in excellent daughter immediately and smartly shutting her down. At that point, I simply retightened the banjo bolt on the the turbo oil supply line, reset the timing belt tensioner to mark ... and called it a day!!!

Celebrated back at the house with G&T's with sliced lime for my daughter and me. She even made them...told you she was excellent.

Heres the pics to prove it ... :cool:
Please NO snarky comments about the dirty AC condensor...I will scrub it down and straighten out the bent fins, but only once I get the timing belt cover back on, hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited: