Mopar Roof Bars / Cross-Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Here is a general question for everyone who has the Mopar roof cross-bars:

I installed them. They look fine - the teardrop cross-section ones with the rubber strip on top. I was a little worried about the small hex screws inside that tighten the clamp up against the roof rails. But I piled my gear on top, right on the roof and tightened everything down with ratchet straps and everything stayed put on a 1200-mile road trip, even with some nasty cross-winds. Cool.

Here is my question. I am going to install a roof basket / safari basket (probably Surco because I can get it oversized and not the std 39 x 40). Are the small hex screws holding the Mopar cross bars going to be strong enough? Because I have this mental picture of the air flow going UNDER the loaded roof basket and pulling it and the cross bars right up off the roof rails. Not that I will be driving at mega-high speeds or anything. Just a little nervous.

I had an extension ladder ratched down to the cross bars last fall and a STRONG cross-wind blew it across the top and down the driver's side where it was still hanging on to the roof rails, but I had to pull off and climb out the passenger side because the ladder was hanging and blocking the driver's door. Did some nasty scars on the paint too. Probably was not ratched tight enough but making me a little gunshy about carrying cargo on the roof.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

'02 LTD

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ratchet straps

There is no such thing as too tight with a ratcheting strap. I check mine whenever I stop, and retighten if necessary. Loads can shift, things heat up and expand in the sun, a number of things can happen.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
150 pounds max? Feh. If I can strap it down, it goes on top - period!! (Slightly tongue-in-cheek).

Usually when I ratchet stuff down, I loop the strap under the roof rail and around back up to the outside of the cross-bar and hook on. I figure that way even if the cross-bar comes loose, it is still secured from underneath by the strap. But I am not too sure about a basket.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Andy

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have the OE cross rails just the ones that go front to back
The Surco basket I have is 48 X 44 ID ,not sure about the out side but 50 X 46 sound right
I use some HD 2" pipe clamps to hold it down and use the heavier bars on the basket to go from left to right
Drove from south Louisiana to Gatlinburg TN and back with an Ice chest full and a good size plastic bin full along with some loose camping gear ,I would guess close to 200# and had no issues
now the fact that we also had 4 adults and their cloths for a week with us made for some not so good MPG's

Latest posts

Members online