Libby without a spare on the back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aksloan

Reaction score
I went to walmart today and saw a libby that had taken the spare tire mount off the back door and had covered up the area with a Jeep logo plate. When I looked in the back window I saw a spare, definitely not a full spare, on the passenger side mounted upright. When I got home I grabbed a tape measure and can't figure out how they got a 29" temporary spare (let alone found a temporary spare for a libby) to fit since my 04 doesn't have 29" from the back seat to the back door. Got to admit it looked pretty good without the tire on the back and I'm sure it makes putting stuff in the back easier by just opening the glass and setting stuff in without bumping the spare.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take the spare tire as an extra cushion when backing up. :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few on the road without a spare and without the bracket, nicely patched up, even surface on the tailgate. Tailgate looks good that way, but the bumper kills it. If you can replace the bumper with something that looks good, It may look good. If you don't wheel you can just buy a bike-tire-spare and keep it in. :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few KJs without the spare on the back and it just doesn't look right to me. It takes that "Off Road Look" away from it. Specially when the KJ is just stock because the tire is just mounted there and not molded into the rear tail gate with a fancy locking cover like some small SUVs (Like the Honda CRV).

Now if you have a heavily modified KJ then its a different story because moving the back tire is sometimes require to have off road equipment mounted on the back.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What you can do is sit the spare down on the floor, that does work. Take off the brackets, bam, done. What I'd do (cheap way!) is take a few rubber plugs, paint them to match and fill up the holes with them. ;)

Simple.

But the bumper kills the look... :( It's the indent for the spare tire. Blah.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take the spare tire as an extra cushion when backing up. :D

Seriously, one of my neighbors owns a Liberty Sport and did just that. His wife backed it into their carport wall one evening. Luckily the wall gave way, no damage to the Libby.

The only reason I could see for removing the factory spare from the rear door is if I couldn't fit a 31" tire on it. I see other Jeeps like the Wranglers hanging big tires (over 33") on their doors. Its ******* the tailgate hinges.

That gives me an idea? I should try hanging a 33" tire off the back of my Libby, just to turn heads :D I think I have one in the garage somewhere.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you can still open the flipper glass

aksloan

Reaction score
But the bumper kills the look... :( It's the indent for the spare tire. Blah.

Tell people it is a step to access the roof rack idea.gif

I'd still like to know where someone found a temporary spare for a Libby.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell people it is a step to access the roof rack idea.gif

I'd still like to know where someone found a temporary spare for a Libby.
Any temp spare with the correct bolt pattern will work,but temp spares are junk to begin with.A monster spare on the rear looks much better:D!

If you offroad clubs/parks will not let you wheel without a fullsize spare,it can damage your LSD's/lockers and you can't run 4wd anymore without damaging the t-case.