Introduction - Hi all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been looking through the forum for some time and getting a lot of useful ideas and knowledge. thanks to all. I do require some specific info, if anyone can advise: I have a stock 2005 KJ 3.7 LTD. I've brought it back from the dead with a lot of work. All the changes have been OEM or as close as I could get. Very happy thus far with the outcome, bar the lambda sensors causing an issue while its in idle. I've replaced the entire exhaust and installed 2 new Cats but need to get the O2 sensors remapped or switched off to remedy the issue. Has anyone encountered something similar? Are there any drawbacks to turning off the O2 sensors?

Also, I want to upgrade the wheels and avoid spacers so i've found a set of 15" x 10" with a -32 negative offset. The idea is that I also get bigger tyres. Do I still need a lift kit/spacers?

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
You were lucky to be able to get new cats, they're not available here (have to make do with universal ones)

I don't think you can remap O2 sensors, afaik, they're all the same (if they have a black, a grey & 2 white wires) only the connectors are different. Not sure what you're trying to achieve,& you don't say what the problem is but why don't you just unplug them for as long as it takes?

There's a whole section on this forum for wheels & tyres but by "upgrade" do you just mean get wider wheels - for whatever reason? Don't think 15's will clear the brake calipers, you will need at least 245/70's for 10" rims & will almost certainly need a 2" lift to fit them, without rubbing.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were lucky to be able to get new cats, they're not available here (have to make do with universal ones)

I don't think you can remap O2 sensors, afaik, they're all the same (if they have a black, a grey & 2 white wires) only the connectors are different. Not sure what you're trying to achieve,& you don't say what the problem is but why don't you just unplug them for as long as it takes?

There's a whole section on this forum for wheels & tyres but by "upgrade" do you just mean get wider wheels - for whatever reason? Don't think 15's will clear the brake calipers, you will need at least 245/70's for 10" rims & will almost certainly need a 2" lift to fit them, without rubbing.
I think he wants to map out the downstream probes to allow for a straight through pipe, don't know if anyone will do this?? + if you have any sort of annual inspection where you are it will fail on emissions, it was popular back in the day here but they got wise to it, so much so that the inspection bays now have web cameras linked to the government vehicle agency watching all inspections! Big brother....

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
One of my XJ's doesn't have a cat & it's got through the MoT like that for at least 6 years - & I've even had surprised comments on how low the emissions are. I've always put it down to its age & the fact it's probably the only one they see from one year to the next.

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score
I think he wants to map out the downstream probes to allow for a straight through pipe, don't know if anyone will do this?? + if you have any sort of annual inspection where you are it will fail on emissions, it was popular back in the day here but they got wise to it, so much so that the inspection bays now have web cameras linked to the government vehicle agency watching all inspections! Big brother....

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the insight. I understand about failing the emissions, its not a problem. The issue is that in idle, the car seems to choke and turn off on occasion. The problem is fixed once I restart the ignition. I suspect this is due to the O2 sensors not reading the emissions correctly after the cats were replaced. I appreciate the advice about unplugging them. I will try this and let you know the outcome.

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score

regarding the wheels and the 2" lift... I want to put wider tyres on. The lift is ok, feasable. I would like to avoid spacers if i can so I found some wheels and tyres (below). Any thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score
Its not an issue with emissions, just the stuttering and the choking thats affecting the drive from time to time, which i put down to the o2 sensors. I did change the O2 sensors with new ones as well but it didn't remedy the problem. I appreciate all your help.

One other issue you may be able to assist with...I've notices that my front struts are getting corroded. I've looked online to buy replacements (OEM or other, new, second hand) but all I can see on UK Ebay are used ones that look worse than the ones currently on my Jeep. Do you know any supplier of either new or good used / reconditioned struts? (specifically the fork at the bottom)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

APJeepyKJ

Reaction score
One of my XJ's doesn't have a cat & it's got through the MoT like that for at least 6 years - & I've even had surprised comments on how low the emissions are. I've always put it down to its age & the fact it's probably the only one they see from one year to the next.
Love the fogs on the front bumper....btw

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The forks are a big lump of cast once the rust is knocked off, wirebrush or blast and paint. If you want new springs OME or H&R are probably the best option with new shocks, cheap springs are poor as are OEM the other options will give you a lift too.
As to your wheels the general option on here is most 15" won't clear the front brakes, I've never tried so can't comment.