How to drive a 4X4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Later on today I am going to the PA all breeds Jeep show for the first time. I am really excited because they let you ride 4X4 jeeps over an obstacle course. The trouble is I have never driven a 4X4 jeep before (yes I know it's crazy). I need you guys to tell me how to. It would be embarrassing to ask the person there how to do it.

Need answers quick.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will not be the first person to drive that corse
just follow the track ,not hard at all
we ,the local clubs, at one time did a show like that
problem was that the line for the corse would be like a 15+ minute wait
and that was if you had your own 4X4
The show basically got to big for the staff and the venue so we stopped

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like you'll need 4 LO, so remember put it into neutral, coast at 2-5 MPH, and shift the xfer case into 4 lo.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you'll need 4 LO, so remember put it into neutral, coast at 2-5 MPH, and shift the xfer case into 4 lo.

On mine, you need to be completely stopped to shift into 4lo. If I do the neutral- 2-5mph thing, I get all kinds of "kuhCHUNK" gear sounds as they line up wrong. The mechanic at the shop told me there's nothing to worry about when shifting at a dead stop, and I'd bypass all the painful sounding gear sync. I have no idea if that is normal, but I'm fine with stopping before shifting. kopkrab.gif

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, you need to be completely stopped to shift into 4lo. If I do the neutral- 2-5mph thing, I get all kinds of "kuhCHUNK" gear sounds as they line up wrong. The mechanic at the shop told me there's nothing to worry about when shifting at a dead stop, and I'd bypass all the painful sounding gear sync. I have no idea if that is normal, but I'm fine with stopping before shifting. kopkrab.gif

This is kinda how mine is, and how my XJ was too, and I'm pretty sure my old TJ was that way too, all with the 231.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine is easier coasting with the trans in neutral. But I have the 242.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
full stop on mine as well.....

That Jeep gathering in York looks like a blast, I just might have to check that out next year....of course I didn't see any Liberty's in the photo gallery, aren't they allowed in.....:confused:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny
my NP231 ,same as any 231 in any KJ, will not shift into 4wd Low unless it is moving
matter of fact dont let it get stuck in Neutral between 4h and 4lo
you will have a ***** of a time getting it back into gear

He will not have to know ANY of this if they are providing the Jeep
he will get it in 4lo and all he will have to do is get in and go
the Jeeps we used were JK Wrangler "X's" ,2-2 door's and a 4 door
we had a CRD Grand but the $40K price meant no one but the "guides" can drive it on the track

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny
my NP231 ,same as any 231 in any KJ, will not shift into 4wd Low unless it is moving
matter of fact dont let it get stuck in Neutral between 4h and 4lo
you will have a ***** of a time getting it back into gear
After being "broken in" my 231 shifted into 4low while stopped with zero issues.Was not stuck between gears either,it was fully in 4low.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll tell ya one thing. Driving a 4X4 jeep over rocks is fun :D. The coaches were very helpful. The show was pretty cool but I must say there were hardly any Liberty's. I saw about 3 compared to about 300+ Wranglers. If you guys live near York, I recommend you go next year. It’s worth the trip.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After being "broken in" my 231 shifted into 4low while stopped with zero issues.Was not stuck between gears either,it was fully in 4low.

yeah mine is well used and I can shift it into 4low while stopped
but I have also seen what happens when the dont go into gear
for me just doing it while in motion is easier

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I am glad you had fun, how do you feel you did on the course? Do you feel that you learned a bit about off road driving?

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I learned that it's not easy. Maybe it is once youve done it a couple times. I think I did okay since I made it.

Midgear

Reaction score
mine shifts into 4lo while sitting still without any problems- since I got my new tires it's much easier coming out of 4lo, thru 4hi, and back into 2wd lol, doesn't get stuck in 4 when the lever is at 2 either.