Hi-Lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Hi-Lift off road kit im just wondering if it works as good as they say it does. I don't have the budget for a winch yet and will be picking up a Hi-Lift right away, so mabey this will be a good alternative for now...???

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
well considering my stuck in the mud moment.. i dont think that the hijack would have the distance of pull to get me unstuck.. that might have enough pull for a couple feet maybe.. they had to pull me about 10 feet to get me free.

just my amateur opinion

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not worth the money ,off road kit
as far as a high lift jack goes
you need a jack point first so unless you have aftermarket rock rails
the high lift will do you no good at all
also note that as far as high lifts go for trail repairs "they have their place"
I just carry a 4 ton bottle jack and some 2 X 10's
if you are running 31" tall tires on a 16" rim you only need 8" of stroke to get the
tire in the air

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a nice hi-lift... it's gonna stay nice til i have metal bumpers to go with it again...
I'd have to say it would be handier to just have a friend follow you into the mountains until you can get a winch.
I've heard of people using it as a winch, but yeah... 10ft would be tough to pull with it. and you need that to be a chain, not a strap or rope, because you can't change the length of a rope with just a bolt very easily. for the weight of the jack, and chain, and such... you'll be aproaching the weight of winch too

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone designed an adapter for hilifts to work on the libby... give metime ill post the design here

maybe they claim to but trust me when I tell you it will not work
I have a high lift and had a KJ
the good jack point on a KJ is 8-10" from the outer most edge of the door
Jack will just fall over into Jeep ripping a hole in the door

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
it was some kind of tube steel with a rod that would go into a hole in the fram. then you use that on the jack with a 2x4 or something ...

i never used it but he seemed satisfied.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone designed an adapter for hilifts to work on the libby... give metime ill post the design here

Is this what you're referring to?
You must be registered for see images

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7

I've never seen anybody actually use their Hi-Lift as a Come Along winch. I mean you could use either to pull yourself out of a hole but it would take a long time. It's a better idea not to wheel alone. Better still wheel with somebody with a winch.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've considered a high-lift, had several "jack-alls" on the farm. They were always useful. The ARB on my KJ has provisions for using a high-lift. If someone was to manufacture a set of rock rails/sliders that had a receptacle of some sort for a high-lift then I could see the benefit of one.

KJEdmonton, give me a call next time you want to go wheeling, I've got a winch.:D

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You can use a high-lift with most regular aftermarket rock rails. If you have the type that sit closer to the body (like I do - Boulder Bars), you'll have to open the door to avoid scratching/denting the door... but it still works.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a high-lift with most regular aftermarket rock rails. If you have the type that sit closer to the body (like I do - Boulder Bars), you'll have to open the door to avoid scratching/denting the door... but it still works.

Cool.

I'll be in El Centro, Ca again this fall. Might make a trip up to Big Bear Lake while I'm there and buy a set. El Centro isn't too far from Palm Springs and Big Bear isn't too far from there.

Will be cheaper bringing them home on a Herc then the stinking shipping costs.

Is RL ever going to fab KJ bits again? Those Skinks are really what I want. If I can't get the rails from Boulder Bars I'll be forced to get some from RRO.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Is RL ever going to fab KJ bits again? Those Skinks are really what I want. If I can't get the rails from Boulder Bars I'll be forced to get some from RRO.

I don't think anyone knows that for sure... not even RL. :( We can only hope... or maybe there will be another fabricator that will step up in his absence.

Latest posts

Members online