Had a first service done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my '02 with 96K miles to my local mechanic for some service since I have no idea about the history of this car. Had most of the fluids changed. Sounds like the transmission fluid really needed it. There was so much sediment in the radiator that when they opened the petcock to drain it, nothing came out. They had to jam a screw driver into the opening to make a passage for the fluid. They said that they then flushed it multiple times. They felt that the spark plugs were original and replaced them.

I had pointed out that when warm the idle was rough. Said there was a misfire on #2. Replaced coil pack and now she idles smoothly. Don't know if it was replaced with a Mopar coil pack. By the time I learned that information from this forum, the work had already been done.

This weekend I'm having a Pioneer radio and speakers installed. Probably the same radio that LibertyTC got. Has a remote with Bluetooth and CD player.

I think I'm in good shape for a while now. :favorites13:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did they replace hoses, thermostat ??
If not should have since there was that much gunk i there
Did they use HOAT coolant ?
Also should replace all of the coil packs, they get weaker over time, now one new and 5 firing a little less
Were diffs and transfer case done?
All of that before tunes ......

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have to replace all the coil packs at once? I thought it was ok to do them as they went bad. I've been wrong before.

I'd also add the water pump and belt tensioner/belt to the list. If you have the mechanical fan, check the clutch out but chances are it's still ok.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have to replace all the coil packs at once? I thought it was ok to do them as they went bad. I've been wrong before.

I'd also add the water pump and belt tensioner/belt to the list. If you have the mechanical fan, check the clutch out but chances are it's still ok.

For me only replacing one coil pack is sort of like replacing one tire when the other 3 are just as old as the one you're replacing.
I keep the old ones as spares, but I was wrong once so its possible I maybe again:gr_grin::happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Technically you can replace as needed but like Tom stated best to replace all at the same time.

A few companies have TSB's for coils and state all must be replaced since multiple coils can confuse the PCM/ECM for telling which cylinder is the actual problem child.

Fun fact some years of saturns actually use #2 cylinder(coil) as the cam sensor.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Technically you can replace as needed but like Tom stated best to replace all at the same time.

A few companies have TSB's for coils and state all must be replaced since multiple coils can confuse the PCM/ECM for telling which cylinder is the actual problem child.

Fun fact some years of saturns actually use #2 cylinder(coil) as the cam sensor.
Thats interesting, never knew that

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Good to know. Thanks.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they used HOAT or not. That is what I requested on the 'To do' list that I gave them. I don't really have any relationship with these guys. I just moved to Pa. last year. I don't want to come off as too pushy. They seem like a good shop, but it appears that they will take the least expensive route to fix things. That can be good and bad.

I'm sure that there are a lot of other things than could be addressed, but I don't have an unlimited budget for this car. I do believe in fixing things before they go bad if I can, but there is only so much that can be spent at this time. And I'm not equipped to do most of it myself. So I'm going to take it a day at a time and try to enjoy the Jeep.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is tough to find a good shop in some areas. You actually aren't all that far from me and I haven't found a good independent but haven't looked that hard.

Fortunately they said they flushed it a few times so you'll probably be okay for now. The main problem with mixing "universal" stuff and the Chrysler HOAT is that they don't like each other and can cause gel like deposits that can clog things up. I've heard stories about water pump impellers degrading too but not sure how that's possible. If they replaced it all then there may not be a problem, however, the system is designed to run on the corrosion inhibitor additive package in HOAT. Can't guarantee there won't be issues in the long run without HOAT.

Probably best to find a dealer running a fall winter prep service deal. This time of the year you may be able to get a HOAT flush for a good deal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if they used HOAT or not. That is what I requested on the 'To do' list that I gave them. I don't really have any relationship with these guys. I just moved to Pa. last year. I don't want to come off as too pushy. They seem like a good shop, but it appears that they will take the least expensive route to fix things. That can be good and bad.

I'm sure that there are a lot of other things than could be addressed, but I don't have an unlimited budget for this car. I do believe in fixing things before they go bad if I can, but there is only so much that can be spent at this time. And I'm not equipped to do most of it myself. So I'm going to take it a day at a time and try to enjoy the Jeep.

Highlighted is one of those things YOU MUST KNOW!!
If not could cost you a ton of money later
taking less expensive ways of repairing is not always good for you the consumer .
As far as not wanting to be too pushy....You have to be in todays world , no matter what it is. YOU are the consumer, you have a right to know what they used, what they did.

Last edited:

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check with them about the coolant. It is yellow in color, if that indicates anything. I know some are green. Don't know how many colors of anti-freeze there are.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Color is only added by manufacturer so depends on brand, but yellow is a good sign as the Chrysler and Zerex versions are both orange/yellowish respectively. Probably most of the "universal" stuff is that bright green. They shouldn't be bothered if you ask. If they are I'd be hesitant to stick with them.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ltd02 - You're probably not too far from me if you're in north central Maryland. I moved from Maryland to York Pennsylvania last year.