Drivers side door lock inop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 Renegade.....

Hello all. I rarely post because I rarely have issues with the Liberty, but I need some insight on this.

This is actually my g/f's jeep. I rarely see the drivers seat.

Problem plain and simple: The key fits in the driver side door lock, but will NOT turn in any direction to lock or unlock the door. Key works perfectly everywhere else.

The fob works as it should to lock and unlock everything but for some reason she HATES using keyfobs.

Just how hard is it to tear the door apart and replace that damned lock cylinder? Oh that and how the hell would I get one that the ORIGINAL key would fit?

Thanks,
RJ

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my first car the locks used to freeze up. I usually sprayed WD-40 in it and put a blow dryer on it every now and then.

I wanna assume she has been using the key lock all along since you said she don't like fobs but I gotta ask have you ever used it before? If you bought it used it is very well possible the ignition was swapped out and and the door wasn't. My wife and I came across a lot of used car lots doing that. I Remember the one guy telling me he swapped out the entire steering column and thus also the ignition and the keys. When I asked him about the door lock he said no need to since there was a fob. Obviously we didn't by that KJ.

Personally I Would tell her use the fob and that would be the end it but still fix it when I had time. My wife didn't like using fobs until one night she forgot to lock the car before getting out and because the doors where left open someone went into the Car and took everything. Now every night when she gets home I hear the horn chirp and I rest at ease.

BTW. Hazleton. Is that Hazleton PA?

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, she used the key ALL the time. The lock just stop working about 2 days ago.

I told her use the keyfob but she doesn't trust them. "It could fail at any time". Nonsense.

Oh and yes, ungoddamned fortunately: Hazleton, PA.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now she knows door lock tumblers can fail at anytime too lol.

God love ya for being in Hazleton but at this point I think it might be better than Wilkes-Barre.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 for being frozen! It's been cold here and it was raining a couple of days ago! (That is...if you're close enough to Jersey to feel the rain that we had)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only 1/2 hour north of Hazleton and and I travel through that area every now and then for work and when one of my fathers cars needs a part from Harry's. I'll actually be in Hazleton on Tuesday.

So yea it's been freezing and nothing but rain here too.

Did you try the WD-40 and blow dryer trick yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk