Dana 30a...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Aaron got it off by way of sawzall. We're good to go now. (cool) Yeah, road salt is a (censored), and I'm even really OCD about washing the KJ in the wintertime just for that reason. Good underbody wash at the local carwash place 1-2 times a week.

Trust me, I'd love to live out there... not feasible yet. Maybe someday.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about some pictures of the install? I would really like to see some, if you have time to take some during the assembley.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Will do. Most likely won't even start the install until Saturday, 10/1.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Got a delivery today...

You must be registered for see images

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We got the new diff installed today. We didn't do a real write up and I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked. Yesterday was a bit of a fiasco, and today we just wanted to get things done.

Certainly not supposed to see the gears from the outside :shock:

A more extensive look at the damage to the aluminum diff

Cracked under where the collar lived - I still believe the collar kept everything together and allowed me to drive to where I could be retrieved by the tow truck

Adding old mounting hardware to new diff

I was going to grab a couple of pictures of it installed, but we ran for dinner and a couple of errands... and by the time we got home, the daylight was nearly gone. I'll get a couple of pictures of it tomorrow. So far, so good though. I drove about 10-15 miles this evening after the install. Will let it cool down tonight, and then it'll be on daily driver duty again. Once we get to the campground at ECS next weekend, I'll drain and refill the gear oil - it will be well past the 500 mile break-in period by then.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
As promised... some installed pictures. I'm surprised didn't get any funny looks from co-workers as I was laying out in the back parking lot taking photos of the underside of the KJ. :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Man, I want one for piece of mind, but it's a hefty price tag. If I should ever blow mine out, I'll most likely go this route.

Now, go test it - get some wheelspin and get the wheel to grab ;-) We need to see how it holds up!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Now, go test it - get some wheelspin and get the wheel to grab ;-) We need to see how it holds up!

We're going to Black Mountain (Harlan, KY) to wheel this weekend... :badger_1:

mandm2k

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm rather new to the threads. When the dealership fellas told me that I needed a new front driverside CV axle i decided to do it myself. I bought one, researched how to install it, and struggled putting it in. When i finally got it into the front diff and put everything back together i decided to go for a test drive. Well I heard a horrible noise that sounds like stuff is clicking, grinding, and destroying the front of my liberty (02). I think I have damaged it. I want to put another one in but not sure where to find one or how difficult it is. A bit of guidance from you guys and I'm sure I'll get the liberty on a lift and start working on it.

Jose
2002 Liberty 3.7L
275/75/16