Broken key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Over the past year I've noticed a crack on the plastic loop that the key ring attaches to and I've filled it in with glue/epoxy a few times. Today I went to pull my keys out and it broke. Any thoughts? I have the fragment that broke, I guess I could try fixing it but I don't think it will last. Is there a replacement cover I could buy?
Here are the pics. You can see the fragment that fell off in the second pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-bay yourself a new fob and gut your old one out for the transmeter.
That's what i did when my fob had the exact same mishap...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just took mine apart, I can't see how the key comes out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw those on eBay- would the key just need to cut or would it also need programming?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the guts come out, the key itself will have to be cut to match yours. Check this link

Jeep Remote Start Key Head Keyless Entry Fob Transmitter Entry Uncut Blade 5 But | eBay

x2. Home Depot can cut that key for you. The programming is in the chip in the fob.

...ALTHOUGH my housemate's Honda key is a similar setup and you could actually pull the metal key out. There was a screw holding it in and you had to maneuver it out of the plastic. This was tough to do without bending/breaking the plastic though. Maybe yours is the same? That is...if you wanted to save yourself the $2 that Home Depot charges.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw those on eBay- would the key just need to cut or would it also need programming?

The guts have the chip with the programming on it. You would just need to swap your chip with the chip in the fleaBay key and the fleaBay key will act like it's your key! Voila!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah ok. That's cool that the actually key itself is just a normal key and the chip is in the removable part.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading this leads me to understand that the transponder chip should be in the plastic of the key:

Transponder car key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Since this is a radio frequency it can penetrate materials that would make the transponder not directly visible, such as the plastic or rubber in the bow of a key."

Any Chrysler key should work. You're gutting it with what's on the inside anyway.

I think you might even just want to go with this:

Amazon.com: New 4 Buttons Remote Key Shell Case For Dodge *Avenger Chrysler Pacifica Jeep Wrangler No Chips Inside: Car Electronics

Reviews make it look like exactly what you need.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ordered it! Thanks a bunch man! Saved me some money! It showed one in stock so hopefully it's mine!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just an update...transferred the guts over to the new one, keyless worked, got the key cut (local locksmith cut it for free) and back in business! Thanks for the help!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Epoxy glue will stick that bit of plastic back!

In future try melt the two bits together with a small soldering iron....reinforce the joint with some extra melted plastic.

Latest posts

Members online