Bilstein shocks with a 3" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected..
Wow that's insane, there's no way I'd use that

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First I never said I liked the RC lift. If you're going to go with a spacer lift at least make it an over-the-top spacer like Rusty's. And if you are going to go with a spacer lift at least change the front struts to new OEM ones first. Now to answer your question I have years of experience lifting vehicle's including those with IFS. I've lifted and owned quite a few Toyota Tacomas as well.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

The OTT style like Rustys and RRO are worse than this setup almost
Thats what did one Renegade in and how I got a ARB front bumper for 1/5 the price of what it should of been and less than a year old. I still have that lift and use it to show HOW NOT TO lift a KJ.
See this is what I have been trying to get across, you thinking a OTT is ok , just shows that while you may know what works on a SFA or a Taco does not necessarily work at all on a KJ or KK. Just trying to help educate you on how these things react to some spacer lifts and what works best. I mean there is literally 14 years experience on here and LOSTJEEPs which was the first KJ specific spinoff for the KJs .
PLUS if someone REALLY thinks they must go to a spacer lift you need to replace both the SPRINGs and SHOCKs , and even then use a better quality shock than OEM. ( plus use bumpstops to help some as well )

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wonder it said 1-2 hour installation. I bet I can do that in 30 minutes, not that I want to.

Somebody should put 2" top spacer, daystar and rc just for ***** and giggles. Might as well throw 2" cradle drop.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No wonder it said 1-2 hour installation. I bet I can do that in 30 minutes, not that I want to.

Somebody should put 2" top spacer, daystar and rc just for ***** and giggles. Might as well throw 2" cradle drop.

I've always said I wanted to have a KJ with a common spacer lift on it,( use 100,000 mile springs, stock worn shocks , no bumpstops etc ). Then have one set up properly, just to show and give people rides so they can see the difference.

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OTT style like Rustys and RRO are worse than this setup almost
Thats what did one Renegade in and how I got a ARB front bumper for 1/5 the price of what it should of been and less than a year old. I still have that lift and use it to show HOW NOT TO lift a KJ.
See this is what I have been trying to get across, you thinking a OTT is ok , just shows that while you may know what works on a SFA or a Taco does not necessarily work at all on a KJ or KK. Just trying to help educate you on how these things react to some spacer lifts and what works best. I mean there is literally 14 years experience on here and LOSTJEEPs which was the first KJ specific spinoff for the KJs .
PLUS if someone REALLY thinks they must go to a spacer lift you need to replace both the SPRINGs and SHOCKs , and even then use a better quality shock than OEM. ( plus use bumpstops to help some as well )
Nothing wrong with a OTT spacer. If you replace the strut assembly up front when doing it it will last you a long time. Is it as good as a full spring setup absolutely not. Is it okay if you're on a budget yes. Heck if you add some corrected upper control arms to the equation the OTT spacer setup will last just as long as the stock struts.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a OTT spacer. If you replace the strut assembly up front when doing it it will last you a long time. Is it as good as a full spring setup absolutely not. Is it okay if you're on a budget yes. Heck if you add some corrected upper control arms to the equation the OTT spacer setup will last just as long as the stock struts.

So 30,000-40,000 most, highly doubt evn that with stock 310 lb springs
By the way my first full OME lift on the 04 lasted 100,000 miles ( installed when it had 20,000 miles on it) which I then removed and sold to another member ( was still good enough for more miles I was just going a different route/ trying something that hadn't been tried )

NOW it seems like on some other models you can get away with what you are saying but the KJs are not one of those

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am saying if you replace the front struts with ones similar to stock, like Moog quick struts for example, and use a OTT spacer on them you'll likely get 30 to 40grand on them depending on how much off roading you do, if any. Like I said I'm not comparing that setup to a full spring lift from OME.

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can't handle when someone disagrees with you but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Take a deep breath. It'll be OK Tommy boy

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can't handle when someone disagrees with you but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Take a deep breath. It'll be OK Tommy boy

OK my name is NOT Tommy nor am I boy so cut the BS OUT NOW!!!
You do know that is a form of harassment and in a business would be a write up but I know you're trying to be " cute" :happy175::happy175:
SO NOW please inform us to what else there is?
And no an OTT will not last 30-40,000 miles, due to the weak springs, these front springs should of been rated at 340-350 lbs on these Kjs and the reason they won't hold up long
NOW possibly on a Yota etc they have a higher rate so do work, don't know since have never and will never own one
Plus its not disagreeing , its the facts and what does and doesn't work
Plus like to debate, but with people who know how

Last edited:

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK my name is NOT Tommy nor am I boy so cut the BS OUT NOW!!!
NOW please inform us to what else there is?
And no an OTT will not last 30-40,000 miles
If you replace the "struts" at the time you install the over-the-top spacers they absolutely will last as long as factory configuration. Obviously you need extended bump stops as well. Sorry Thomas but just because you say so, doesn't make it true.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you replace the "struts" at the time you install the over-the-top spacers they absolutely will last as long as factory configuration. Obviously you need extended bump stops as well. Sorry Thomas but just because you say so, doesn't make it true.

OK tell ya what, you do it and see how long they last
and its not just me saying it , please read through 14 years of posts regarding spacers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way you never answered my question over on LOST regarding the pricing of JBA UCAs

Just for S's and G's just what do you think JBA should sell them for ??
I often ask this question when people start asking for discounts, or saying prices are too high, labor is too much, always interesting.......
Of course my next question is what do you do, what do you get paid per hour, what is the overhead of turning on the lights daily, designing new products, insurance for equipment and employees etc
Have to remember there were no aftermarket UCAs for quite a while until Mr. Al Handy designed the first ones, then sold to Marlin.
of course with several revisions/ upgrades to those we are now at Version 4.5 .
Now many many products for IFS 4X4s are coming out of his shop, designing/ testing new parts never stops

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OK Tommudd. Answer me this. How many of those people threw spacers on top of old worn out struts? How many of those people even bother to put extended bump stops on? How many of those people replaced the upper control arms? If not done right, I agree with you that setup will not work. Again and I hate to burst your bubble but just because you say so doesn't make it a reality

Last edited:

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way you never answered my question over on LOST regarding the pricing of JBA UCAs

Just for S's and G's just what do you think JBA should sell them for ??
I often ask this question when people start asking for discounts, or saying prices are too high, labor is too much, always interesting.......
Of course my next question is what do you do, what do you get paid per hour, what is the overhead of turning on the lights daily, designing new products, insurance for equipment and employees etc
Have to remember there were no aftermarket UCAs for quite a while until Mr. Al Handy designed the first ones, then sold to Marlin.
of course with several revisions/ upgrades to those we are now at Version 4.5 .
Now many many products for IFS 4X4s are coming out of his shop, designing/ testing new parts never stops
$250 - $275. Anything more than that and you are gouging the customer because you are one of the few in the market that make s particular product. That is unethical business practices.

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been in business myself my whole adult life.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein shocks with a 3" lift

Daystar, skyjacker, bds are more unethical. They can make better lifts for liberty but they don't. Why even make a lift that don't last?

Especially bds, and skyjacker. If i remember correctly, sj made stronger springs on front first then for some reason downgraded it to almost stock spring rating.

Bds, they have a sfa swapped and heavily modded libby, yet they don't make a good coil spring lift.

Daystar..is just shit. They successfully made spacer lift for new renegade, and so many newcomers who buy renegade think daystar is the way to go. A guy I know who deliver parts has it on small chevy pickup truck, and he still can't put bigger tires on.

I honestly think if people don't love their vehicle enough to spend extra dollars to get the right upgrade, they shouldn't even waste their money on it. Return your lift, just do something else with $300. Get a drone or something. This is coming from a guy who made countless mistakes on shit cold air intake, grille guard, crap rims and etc wasting nearly $1k in 2 years. Its my third year almost.

Edit: spelling error correction

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Been in business myself my whole adult life.

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

done with your dumb***
quote from solononeus "OK Tomasso. unquote
We do not tolerate name calling you are done

Last edited:

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

done with your dumb***
We do not tolerate name calling and trying to be a smarta**