At 68 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have and engine noise, a high pitched whine at 68/70 mph when I am on the gas pedal. The noise stops at 78 mph. I don't think I can afford all those tickets.

Any suggestions/guesses as to what is the cause?

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe your tires are the problem??? My tires whine between 35-45.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, If' I'm rolling at 68/70 ... all's quiet, but If I apply any pressure to the gas pedal....I get the high pitched whine. If I get it ut to 75 the noise stops, but like everyone else we do most of our highway driving here at about 70 mph.

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could possibly be the cross bars on the roof. I had a set that would give off a very high pitched whine right at 48-50mph and then stop.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's only hearing the noise when his foot is actually on the gas pedal, not just wind noise or tire noise.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
I think he's only hearing the noise when his foot is actually on the gas pedal, not just wind noise or tire noise.

Exactly

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only happens at a certain speed it's certainly not engine related (this you would noticed at certain RPMs regardless of gear). Sounds more like whining from differential maybe. Has fluid been checked recently, how many miles?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 4 of our jeeps make a whine when you are barely on the gas at high speeds. I dont know if yours is the same, but a certain type of drivetrain whine is normal for jeeps. If you give it some more gas to speed up, does it still do it? Or does it only do it if you are staying at a certain speed and not giving it much gas? O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I know the whine you're talking about, and mine does it as well. I'm almost certain this is from the transmission. It's nothing to worry about. I'm closing in on 40K with out any transmission service.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I'm closing in on 40K with out any transmission service.

knock on wood.

I also hear hissing noise, as well as another similar noise at between 60-70. Once it goes higher I guess it is not stressing the engine much so the noise goes away (when not accelerating). I almost always have radio on, so I don't hear most of the noises. When I turn it off, it is like circus in there :D I am getting used to it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
2003KJ said:

knock on wood.

I also hear hissing noise, as well as another similar noise at between 60-70. Once it goes higher I guess it is not stressing the engine much so the noise goes away (when not accelerating). I almost always have radio on, so I don't hear most of the noises. When I turn it off, it is like circus in there :D I am getting used to it.

The way you drive, I would be surprised if it lasts till 50k.. \:D/

Hehe, jk with ya. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:
2003KJ said:

knock on wood.

The way you drive, I would be surprised if it lasts till 50k.. \:D/

Hehe, jk with ya. O:)

Who me?...lol