Alternator on its way out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm having pulley noise, The belt is fairly new, as i replaced it when I did the water pump about a year ago. I'm gonna replace my tensioner, but i think the alternator pulley is making noise also. At night when you have the headlights on and the A/C compressor kicks on, or you roll a window down the lights will kinda dim, but not much just noticeable though. I think even sometimes they will do it for a split second on their own. As far as I know the alternator is factory. My jeep is a 04 with 117K on the clock..The tensioner is factory too I believe. Thanks for any help!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm having pulley noise, The belt is fairly new, as i replaced it when I did the water pump about a year ago. I'm gonna replace my tensioner, but i think the alternator pulley is making noise also. At night when you have the headlights on and the A/C compressor kicks on, or you roll a window down the lights will kinda dim, but not much just noticeable though. I think even sometimes they will do it for a split second on their own. As far as I know the alternator is factory. My jeep is a 04 with 117K on the clock..The tensioner is factory too I believe. Thanks for any help!

The lights dimming is normal. Most of our Jeeps do that under electrical load. My guess is the AC pulley. Pull off the serpentine belt and spin the pulleys by hand to see which one makes noise/is harder to spin. The alternater is a heavier pully than the rest of them (at least it seemed that way on my friend's Mustang).

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I see, however even with the A/C off it still squeaks... When the wife gets home from work I will look at it. She didn't want to drive the TJ today..:hands:

I was gonna replace the tensioner and go from there.. kinda slowly narrow it down..

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I see, however even with the A/C off it still squeaks... When the wife gets home from work I will look at it. She didn't want to drive the TJ today..:hands:

I was gonna replace the tensioner and go from there.. kinda slowly narrow it down..

I wouldn't replace if I wasn't sure it needed replacing. It takes 5 minutes to pull off the belt. And the A/C doesn't have to be on for the A/C pulley to spin, silly!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a new tensioner and a new EPDM belt like from Gates or a '02 3.7/4.7 OEM belt.If it is the tensioner the belt is done since that slipping under a load has glazed the belt and may still do it after a new tensioner is installed.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I can get a gates belt at oriellys auto parts. That the right one?

I made a video of me spinning each pulley, I think I was turning them in the right direction they normally rotate. I spent the water pump both ways because its the only one I could kinda get a weird sound out of but for all I know it could just be normal. Turn your volume up!

You must be registered for see images

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys, I'm gonna park it until friday when I can replace it and we'll just have to take the TJ everywhere until then.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks! The old bolt came out fine, Did everything else you suggested. Thanks for all your help.

jeeper 'no more squeaky jeep' 4life