Ac compressor/bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fyr3st0rm

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so to start off with my AC compressor went out last year AC does not work I do not care. Last night it started making a very loud noise and it sounded like bearings loose or something like that but it was louder than any other bearing that I'd ever heard before. When I got it opened up this morning and was looking around and messing with things it looked like my bearing to the AC compressor was loose rattling a little bit so I took it to a buddy of mine that owns a shot and asked his opinion. He said yes the bearings are going bad in my AC compressor and then I need a new compressor but that the good thing is that now that I'll have AC. I really cannot afford to replace my compressor at this time I just started a new business and bought a food truck. I was doing research online because I know with an old car I had an old Oldsmobile I was able to bypass the AC and just run my belt without it. So I was looking for a bypass pulley but they do not make one for 2006 and up for the Jeep I can find one for 2005 and below but that was it. And I saw on a few threads that people were bypassing the AC compressor all together with a smaller belt and I was hoping someone has actually done it to this make and model and year and could give me a diaphragm of how I put the belt back on correctly without attaching it to my AC compressor?
If its possible ,this is what i believe i need to do but would that be enough tension for my tensioner pulley to keep everything else working

Attachments

• orca-image-298481459.jpeg
    orca-image-298481459.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, so to start off with my AC compressor went out last year AC does not work I do not care. Last night it started making a very loud noise and it sounded like bearings loose or something like that but it was louder than any other bearing that I'd ever heard before. When I got it opened up this morning and was looking around and messing with things it looked like my bearing to the AC compressor was loose rattling a little bit so I took it to a buddy of mine that owns a shot and asked his opinion. He said yes the bearings are going bad in my AC compressor and then I need a new compressor but that the good thing is that now that I'll have AC. I really cannot afford to replace my compressor at this time I just started a new business and bought a food truck. I was doing research online because I know with an old car I had an old Oldsmobile I was able to bypass the AC and just run my belt without it. So I was looking for a bypass pulley but they do not make one for 2006 and up for the Jeep I can find one for 2005 and below but that was it. And I saw on a few threads that people were bypassing the AC compressor all together with a smaller belt and I was hoping someone has actually done it to this make and model and year and could give me a diaphragm of how I put the belt back on correctly without attaching it to my AC compressor?
If its possible ,this is what i believe i need to do but would that be enough tension for my tensioner pulley to keep everything else working
You did not state the year, but it should work for all 1st gen kj’s.

1 - remove the comressor and block the lines (if you want to restore ac later)
or
1a - pull the compressor pulley and clutch assembly to allow the shorter belt to travel the correct pathway.
- that way, your lines are not open to the atmosphere and corrosion, etc.

2 - put on the shorter belt, following the original path.

It’ll work on those.

I don’t *think* the 08 and up are different. It’ll definitely work on the older stuff - my 04 and 06 are the same.