AC Compressor Intermittent Spinning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that my new AC compressor pulley/wheel is not constantly spinning. The serpentine belt is obviously moving so what could be the issue? Basically seems like the belt is slipping over the compressor wheel. When it spins there is no noise....would it be a bad belt tensioner? Although there seemed to be some squeaking previously now that i think of it. At 206k miles, I'm wondering if that is it or if the bearings in the new compressor went bad. Thoughts?

AlexU

Reaction score
That's the way it works as I know, it just spins when it needs to create pressure but when its on the correct pressure it stops for a moment then spins again and so on... so It seems to be working fine, but if the cycle is too often maybe you need to refill the ac gas.

Crowde

Reaction score
The way you're describing it sounds normal to me.

The AC compressor pulley is clutched and cycles between engaged and disengaged as pressure is called for while the AC is running.

Are you getting cold air?

clw426

Reaction score
The compressor should turn on and off but the pulley should turn constantly. If it's not then either your tensioner is bad, your belt is bad or the pulley bearing is bad.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting cold air. If the pulley is clutched, would it keep spinning with the belt rotation or would it stop spinning and the belt just move over it? Right now, the belt is moving but the AC pulley sometimes spins and sometimes doesn't.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting cold air. If the pulley is clutched, would it keep spinning with the belt rotation or would it stop spinning and the belt just move over it? Right now, the belt is moving but the AC pulley sometimes spins and sometimes doesn't.
Only about the outside 1/4 of the pulley should turn all the time, when the clutch engages, the inner part should spin also. I just looked at my 2006

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only about the outside 1/4 of the pulley should turn all the time, when the clutch engages, the inner part should spin also. I just looked at my 2006
Ok, when Jr gets home with it tonight I'll take another look. I appreciate the responses and all the help!

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it must have been the early morning light and the coffee not kicking in yet...coupled with the other car issues I am currently having in the fleet, I think I panicked...it seems to be working as it should.

I really do appreciate this forum and all the assistance it provides. Cheers!

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that my new AC compressor pulley/wheel is not constantly spinning. The serpentine belt is obviously moving so what could be the issue? Basically seems like the belt is slipping over the compressor wheel. When it spins there is no noise....would it be a bad belt tensioner? Although there seemed to be some squeaking previously now that i think of it. At 206k miles, I'm wondering if that is it or if the bearings in the new compressor went bad. Thoughts?
Is it blowing cold? My experience with A/C is either too much r/134 or not enough will cause a/c to blow warm or only luke cool!

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it blowing cold? My experience with A/C is either too much r/134 or not enough will cause a/c to blow warm or only luke cool!
Yes, air is cold. It looks like it is operating correctly..just my ignorance, but I learned something new so all is well.