Almost stall while shifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok, So I had been running errands earlier today and lef the KJ outside with the windows down, as it was very nice today (60º). Anywho, I went to turn it around and back it into the garage for the night (the engine is now cold, as it's been sitting outside most of the day). I backed it out of my driveway and went to put it in drive, and the minute I hit drive (i was completely stopped), the KJ began shaking violently like it was attempting to stall, or as if half the cylinders just quit working temporarily. Engine RPM's dropped from the cold running 800 or so it usually is to about 400 (lower than fully warmed RPM's) and then went right back up to 800 again like nothing was wrong. Puzzled I sat there in the middle of the road shifting it b/w drive and reverse several times and it shifted just fine.

What the hell happened???????

There was no smoke, and it only ran rough for about 3 seconds, but man did it shake bad. Exactly as if some cylinders just shut off. I did fill up this morning, but then drove around town.

Wanted to add for those who are new or don't remember, I just had my PCM reprogrammed as part of a TSB on shift related stumble a few weeks ago. But that was a complete and abrupt stall out. No "shaking" period like tonight.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Almost. It almost eaxctly halfway stalled. It just dropped down to 400 rpm's (the engine ice cold) the minute it attempted to shift into reverse. It was like it didn't want to go into gear or something and made the engine confused. kinda get what i'm sayin???...LOL thats about as good as I can describe it. There was no grinding in the transmission, but the majority of the shaking was coming from that area, and you could hear the sound of the engine in pain.

Definately NOT something I want to see or hear ever again. If it does it again, and I can figure out how to re-create it, it'll be a trip to the dealer.

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be just a glitch. I've had a few funny things happen on mine once and never happen again.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
TRAILN said:
Could be just a glitch. I've had a few funny things happen on mine once and never happen again.

I agree. Sometimes these little "gremlins" show their ugly rear ends once, never to come back again. I wouldn't worry unless it does it tomorrow. :-s

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.