Air bag Light coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
What would cause this? It does this when it is cold outside (Since I am in FL, only does it for a month or so) Also, just shows up maybe every other month for the hell of it. Yesterday was the first time since around february, and it aint cold down here!!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to know the source of this. Mine (also an '02) has this problem. If you turn it off and turn it back on, does the light go away?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had that issue in my Durango...I just used to let it ride. Usually would go off when I'd start it the next day.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
It always goes away, but I have these visions of the bag going off in my face b/c I am ignoring something important:eek:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's never happened to me. Also, it came on when I was in the cold...(Chicago).

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys know?? That the Airbag control Module is directly under your cup holder? I swamped mine in a lake (pretty much) anyway it was full of water and when I took everything out to remove the carpet I realized that mine was covered in old Coffee and dirt/Dog hair. It's in a bad spot IMO. Anyways check out for corrosion in the connection to your seat weight sensors or any kind of moisture.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just how do you troubleshoot the airbag system? It can't be accessed via the OBDII port can it?

family KJ it sounds like you have a flaky sensor or connection somewhere.

good luck

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys know?? That the Airbag control Module is directly under your cup holder? I swamped mine in a lake (pretty much) anyway it was full of water and when I took everything out to remove the carpet I realized that mine was covered in old Coffee and dirt/Dog hair. It's in a bad spot IMO. Anyways check out for corrosion in the connection to your seat weight sensors or any kind of moisture.
Actually it's about 14" farther forward then that on the tunnel,it's in front of the shifter under the dash.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing that, only coming on when cold. It ended up being a sensor in the passenger seat for the seat belt. Its attached to the seat belt(sown in) so the whole belt had to be replaced. I had to drive it to the dealer when it was 40F without turning the heat on in the Jeep(glad Ive got heated seats) so they could pull the codes. For some odd reason the air bag doesnt store codes when the light goes off, kinda stupid. It was under warranty so I didnt give a crap.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Mine was doing that, only coming on when cold. It ended up being a sensor in the passenger seat for the seat belt. Its attached to the seat belt(sown in) so the whole belt had to be replaced. I had to drive it to the dealer when it was 40F without turning the heat on in the Jeep(glad Ive got heated seats) so they could pull the codes. For some odd reason the air bag doesnt store codes when the light goes off, kinda stupid. It was under warranty so I didnt give a crap.

New seat belt??? Interesting...

I just hate handing her over to the dealer to try and diagnose something, seems they always break another item that you never had a problem with to begin with.

Is it easy to get to that sensor under the dash? I can visually check it out and see what I find.

Thanks guys

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor is on the side of the seat, its really easy to get to. Its the part where the seat belt bolts to the seat. There is a little trim piece that pops off the side of the seat and there it will be, its black. Maybe when the light is on you could run it by and see if they could simply check the air bag codes and tell you whats up. If its a good dealer they wouldnt charge a full hour.

This may all be different on an 02. I know they added some sensors to the passenger seat after 02 but that sensor on the seat belt may of been on the 02's.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just how do you troubleshoot the airbag system? It can't be accessed via the OBDII port can it?

You don't. I'd let a professional handle it. Otherwise you'll get a screwdriver jammed into your forehead.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
The sensor is on the side of the seat, its really easy to get to. Its the part where the seat belt bolts to the seat. There is a little trim piece that pops off the side of the seat and there it will be, its black. Maybe when the light is on you could run it by and see if they could simply check the air bag codes and tell you whats up. If its a good dealer they wouldnt charge a full hour.

This may all be different on an 02. I know they added some sensors to the passenger seat after 02 but that sensor on the seat belt may of been on the 02's.

Another project for the week-end.... I will check it out and see how it looks. Thanks