Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Members' Journals

Register to remove these ads.

Members' Journals

Building for the Wife...

This is a discussion on Building for the Wife... within the Members' Journals forums, part of the General Forums category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Howdy all. My wife and I recently bought a 2005 KJ sport. This ...

The Members' Journals forum allows you to create your own personal thread, showing off your Liberty from the day you got it through each stage of your modifications and buildups while maintaining your personal wish list.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Building for the Wife...

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Howdy all. My wife and I recently bought a 2005 KJ sport. This will be her car as I own a 200 XJ. I admit, I was one of those guys who bagged on the KJ for not being a 'real jeep' whilst driving my XJ. I have changed my mind - mostly because what qualifies as a real jeep is quite subjective (is it the original from WWII, and even then, there were 3 manufactures so which one is the real one?) and while I prefer my two solid axles, I lament my lack of body on frame. Sacrifices have been made thru out the history of the jeep, either for sales, regulations, or corporate management. I am happy with my XJ, and I was pleasantly surprised by the KJ. This vehicle will be her daily driver and we will take it on very mild trails. The harder stuff we'll save for my XJ.

I have a list of upgrades and modifications that I am wanting to do for this KJ, and they are as follows in a vague "do this before that" kinda order:

replace broken passenger mirror - DONE
add EVIC - DONE
add TPMS - DONE
replace steel wheels with factory alloy - DONE
spare tire cover - DONE
nav radio upgrade - DONE
upgrade seats to power - DONE
install footwell courtesy lamps - DONE
install factory CD changer - DONE
add fog lights - DONE
add mudflaps - in progress
replace window, lock and mirror switches with illuminated ones- in progress
replace cracked tail light drivers side - in progress
replace sport trim with limited trim - in progress
upgrade to HD Cooling - in progress
install towing wiring harness - in progress
install steering wheel radio controls - in progress
add rock rails
add skids
add tow hooks

REPLACE leaking PS pump and lines

I'm sure that isn't a full list, but I'll update as I progress.

I welcome all constructive suggestions. I am a member on several Facebook jeep groups, so if I want a troll, I'll go there - thanks. I have so far found some good info here. My only issue is that I cant open any page in this forum from Chrome on my Android phone. It redirects me to a fake virus page. Because of this, I can only do updates when I'm at a computer - which isn't as often as it used to be.

Thanks in advance to anyone with help and constructive suggestions!
Tim

Last edited by djtimyd; 10-16-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: progress on the list
djtimyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

In fact, I can already mark the EVIC off the list!

Using the help from the 40 pages of submissions on a thread here, and a thread I found on lostjeeps, I finished installing this two days ago. Having added an overhead console to my XJ, I had some ideas about what I needed to do. My main issue here was my available selection. I could not find any EVIC from a 2005+. I settled with an '04, but now I have to deal with the odd-ball TPMS, because of course the unit I pulled was TPMS enabled. And being an '04, doesn't have the self calibrating sensors. I think I have a line on the upgraded rims w/ tires that already have the '04 TPMS installed. If so, I can get them for less than $200, which considering that is what those sensors cost new, I'm basically getting 5 free rims. But that is a big if, and for another day
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to uss2defiant Send a message via MSN to uss2defiant Send a message via Skype™ to uss2defiant

use tapatalk on your phone.

I'd suggest also upgrading to the HD cooling as well if it doesn't have any.

TPMS?? move along...
profdlp likes this.
~170k Miles
My KJ youtube playlist for ref. https://tinyurl.com/jeepkj

uss2defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Arrow

Originally Posted by uss2defiant View Post
I already have too many apps on my phone. I'm not gonna install this app, just to use this site. Yes, I know its used by many forums - and I have tried using the app, but I am not a fan of the interface. Besides - the app or not the app isn't the issue, its the fact that I get redirected to a fake virus page trying to extort money. Chrome has extensions on the desktop that will block that - Chrome on android and iOS do not. So - I'll just stick to the desktop updates. Its annoying, and off-putting (I imagine some people see this happen and just never return because of this). I'm slightly more persistent than the average bear.

I have the build sheet, and no it doesn't. Do the KJs have any know overheating or heat soak issues - like I have had to deal with on my XJ? My biggest annoyance is the lack of temperature deliniations on the gague. Its only slightly better than an idiot light. I do have a scantool and I have run it several times to see what the average operating temp is and so far, its between 200 and 210. I've been assuming that is an OK temperature. Is that too high?

TPMS?? move along...
Are you telling me to move along because I am interested in getting the TPMS installed or are you telling me to move along from getting the TPMS working? If its the former - thanks for being a dick. If its the later, then to each their own... and in this case, since its part of the EVIC, I have the choice of the nag screen or getting the sensors every 7 years or so. And - most importantly, the boss wants it working. Either way - if you have nothing but shade to throw on this, then I kindly ask that you move along. Was kinda hoping to avoid this type of garbage on this forum...
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

KJs don't have the overheating issues XJs have for sure...I went through that stuff with my XJ and check the forums a lot. Those temps are normal. I even thing it's normal to go above 210.

I'd add the mechanical fan just to get cooler AC. You don't need need it though.
uss2defiant likes this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper View Post
KJs don't have the overheating issues XJs have for sure...I went through that stuff with my XJ and check the forums a lot. Those temps are normal. I even thing it's normal to go above 210.

I'd add the mechanical fan just to get cooler AC. You don't need need it though.
My 2000 XJ is the one with the head that is prone to crack between cylinders 3 & 4... so far (180k+ miles) and its good. But I watch that temp gauge like a hawk! Good to hear that I needn't worry about overheating issues and that my temps are good.

The mechanical fan is similar to the one on the XJ? has the fluid clutch that spins different rpms based on load and temperature? I'll look into it... I prefer the mechanical fan to the replacement all electric setups that XJ guys preach about so I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Yeah, the mech fan is overall like the XJ in concept. Just locks on more based on engine temps. Purely mechanical. The KJs is driven off the water pump instead of separate pulley like the XJ. The KJ just uses one 36mm nut to hold it on...I think it's easier to work with than the 4 nut XJ setup.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Does anyone have a complete parts list for adding a mech fan?
Tires: 32" (265/70/17) Cooper STT PROs on 17x7.5 (5.5" BS) OEM Wheels w/ 1.5" Spacers
Skids: OEM Engine
Lighting: 42" & 12" Auxbeam 5D LED Light Bars, DDM Tuning 5000k 55w HIDs, & Euro Turn Signals
Misc: DetourUSA Backbone, Smittybilt X20 10k lbs Winch, Ultranger 3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope Raptor Lined Interior
Myke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

TPMS?? move along...
Originally Posted by djtimyd View Post

Are you telling me to move along because I am interested in getting the TPMS installed or are you telling me to move along from getting the TPMS working? If its the former - thanks for being a dick. If its the later, then to each their own... and in this case, since its part of the EVIC, I have the choice of the nag screen or getting the sensors every 7 years or so. And - most importantly, the boss wants it working. Either way - if you have nothing but shade to throw on this, then I kindly ask that you move along. Was kinda hoping to avoid this type of garbage on this forum...
I read it as phuck the TPMS, and I agree. He gives you advice which you asked for, and you come off being a dick, because you don't like the advice. Anything that you were trying to avoid, including my post, you have only yourself to blame. Good luck

Bert

EDIT: If you want to clean up this thread then Edit or erase your post and I will delete mine

Bert

Last edited by boboborino; 08-26-2017 at 11:29 AM.
boboborino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mod Squad

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Let's calm down....attacks over TPMS are kind of silly. Argue about something meaningful....like oil filters or something.
Dave, angelis_digital and CRD2005 like this.