What does everyone use for rust prevention?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fishoil

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wash once a week, or more during winter, pay close attention to under carriage and door jambs. Fix any rust spots immediately. Keep some sealant on the paint.

KJs do pretty well if you keep up on washing them.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frequent wash, quarterly wax, paint on undercarriage that gets touched up throughout the year, any sort of decent paint will do IMO. But living right on lake erie on the NY/PA state border rust is inevitable

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash and wax as frequent as possible and inspect as much as you can. If you hand wash the jeep it makes inspecting easy. I paint the undercarriage once a year and touch it up as needed.

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above keeping the vehicle cleaned and wax as needed. My 2005 Jeep stays outside so it get 4 polymer paste waxing a year plus liquid waxing when needed to keep up the shine. My engine bay is also done at every cleaning.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rocker panels are rusting from the inside out, no amount of washing or waxing would have saved them. My "rust prevention" is going to involve some cutting and grinding and welding and grinding and filling and painting.

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I am very glad that I still do not live in the rust belt. Even though we has salt from the Oceans it is nothing like Michigan with the salting the roads but even then I held it at bay.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's generally the only area on the KJ that's hard to prevent. Even up by the 3rd brake light can be prevented if you check under it and treat as needed.

That's what scares me about having the covered rocker panels....ignorance is bliss :D

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

That's all well and good, but once we who develop blistering rockers before we expected to, it's too late. Wax or any other routing preventative maintenance doesn't go through the paint and metal to protect from the back side. In similar climate areas, it'***** & miss where some get the rust and some don't.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a nasty salt belt (Michigan) and have always used 3m rustproofing spray cans for interior panels and any brand of undercoating for the under carriage. I always touch-up the undercoating at the end of summer every year. I also use the 3m rustproofing on the bottom door, tailgate and hood seams.

twixy79

Reaction score
Ok so some may know, I'm a newbie. I went to go look at an 06 renegade with 92k on it.... I love the truck and it LOOKS that free. I got down and did a quick check and it all looked pretty solid. I saw a few spots on after market parts (like the side rails) but it's all stuff I'd rip off anyway.... Anyway, I was wondering if doing the undercarriage is as simple as lifting her up and spraying her down with a rust product... I have only lived in Maine for a year and so I'm not used to having salt/snow issues and I've never had to rust treat a car before...
There is a local place that does the undercarriage and a rust protection on the body for like 150 bucks.... So since this is something I am clueless about, what should i do?

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so some may know, I'm a newbie. I went to go look at an 06 renegade with 92k on it.... I love the truck and it LOOKS that free. I got down and did a quick check and it all looked pretty solid. I saw a few spots on after market parts (like the side rails) but it's all stuff I'd rip off anyway.... Anyway, I was wondering if doing the undercarriage is as simple as lifting her up and spraying her down with a rust product... I have only lived in Maine for a year and so I'm not used to having salt/snow issues and I've never had to rust treat a car before...
There is a local place that does the undercarriage and a rust protection on the body for like 150 bucks.... So since this is something I am clueless about, what should i do?

Rust proofing the interior panels is pretty straight forward but undercoating can be tricky on a used vehicle. The under carriage should be degreased, steam cleaned, wire brushed and completely dry before under coating is applied. A bad under coating job can actually cause rust if the vehicle is not prepped properly or the product is not applied right. Most people have never rust proofed or undercoated a vehicle before so you're probably better off having it done but it's pretty hard to find a shop that will take the time to do it right.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why i dont screw with that rubberized undercoating. I power wash the undercarriage and go under there with some rusto rattle can and quart and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a rag. Clean a spot or section with rubbing alcohol then paint. Its easier now that i am lifted extra space for me to get around.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust proofing the interior panels is pretty straight forward but undercoating can be tricky on a used vehicle. The under carriage should be degreased, steam cleaned, wire brushed and completely dry before under coating is applied. A bad under coating job can actually cause rust if the vehicle is not prepped properly or the product is not applied right. Most people have never rust proofed or undercoated a vehicle before so you're probably better off having it done but it's pretty hard to find a shop that will take the time to do it right.

Might explain why I'm getting rust under there now

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rust Proofing is hit or miss , on a new vehicle its pretty straight forward BUT on used like mentioned, if itts not clean, any rust removed, dry etc it will come off
In a lot of places the undercoating guy is the lowest paid, newest guy there with minimal experience