Keeping undercarriage rust-free???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldJoe

Reaction score
A friend at work just bought a truck that’s about 25 years old. It spent most of its life in Texas but for the last few years, it was in Ohio. Friend looked at the frame, etc. and there was nearly rust free. He also looked at a car the seller has had in Ohio well over 15 years, also with little or no rust. Seller said he sprayed Auto Trans Fluid on the frame, axle, etc. every fall and this keeps it looking new. Friend said the brake lines and clips look like new. Now, I know ATF and acetone makes a great penetrating oil, but has anyone out there heard about ATF for undercoating? Any comments???:shrug:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of that, but i could see atf being really good penetration wise, i mostly use rust check, combination of the red or green stuff depending on season and area, during winter i clean it well and use the green stuff all over

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, the old school undercoating days used an oil spray, so I guess a DIY ATF would be along the same idea.
What ever works I suppose. I Don't want a fire issue or sticky oil/Atf everywhere on the Jeep though.
When I got my Jeep, I originally got it undercoated with a teflon based paint/undercoat.
54460[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Since the undercoating, I use a rust spray paint to keep it in top shape.
54462[/ATTACH]"]

The front often needs touch ups too.
54464[/ATTACH]"]

Of course the oil pan needs to be kept clean & painted, otherwise it can be a bad cancer day.
54466[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Jeep%20Undercoating.jpg
    Jeep%20Undercoating.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 0
  • Undercoated.jpg
    Undercoated.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6871.jpg
    6871.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepOilPanPainted.jpg
    JeepOilPanPainted.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started using Corrosion Free, which is applied every 18 months.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my libby undercoated by the local ziebart place, then I put eastwood internal frame coating on the inside of the uni-frame rails.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend at work just bought a truck that’s about 25 years old. It spent most of its life in Texas but for the last few years, it was in Ohio. Friend looked at the frame, etc. and there was nearly rust free. He also looked at a car the seller has had in Ohio well over 15 years, also with little or no rust. Seller said he sprayed Auto Trans Fluid on the frame, axle, etc. every fall and this keeps it looking new. Friend said the brake lines and clips look like new. Now, I know ATF and acetone makes a great penetrating oil, but has anyone out there heard about ATF for undercoating? Any comments???:shrug:

Have leaky transmission and keep adding fluid. Going down the road 70 MPH will leave a nice fresh film on everything.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my libby undercoated by the local ziebart place, then I put eastwood internal frame coating on the inside of the uni-frame rails.
Didn't know about that internal stuff, gonna add it to my spring work, would you mind doing a post on the spots you stuck it through, I only know of a couple running along the sides

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sprayed it in any opening on the frame I could find. I also put masking tape over the holes where I was not spraying so that the paint did not get on the driveway.