You can only laugh if you offer advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So curiosity killed the cat. I decided to see what was up this trail I drove by tonight. I got about half way up and decided I no longer was curious. I couldn’t turn around, so I had to back out. The tint made it a little hard to see so I decided to open the lift gate. That made it worse because of the rear dome light. So I didn’t see the tree that was behind me and I backed into it and broke the passenger side hinge on my rear glass. Has any one had to replace these? I’m going to fix it tomorrow morning, because it just happened and its dark out, but I was just hoping someone else had to replace there’s and could tell me what I’m in for. How dose the hinge attatch to the glass? ill eventullay see tomorrow morning.
So like I said... laugh only if you can give some advice.
Thanks
James
rockon.gif

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are a couple of screws on the inside of the glass.

FYI, you can turn off the interior lights on the multi-function switch ;-)

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know...hind sight is 20/20.
theres a bunch of things i wish i did differently.
what are you gonna do but live and learn.
i guess.
im pist.
im going to bed.
ill worry about it tomorrow.
i also get to deal with my girlfriend who didnt say a word all the way home and just went straight to bed.
oh what fun...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like there is one screw on the glass and two on the body, they appear to be a T-20 torx head (or whatever size torx fits the screws on the front grille).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, not hard to fix, just got to get the part and turn some screws. Be careful tightening the screw on the glass when you put the new hinge on, i've seen guys try to torque them down and break the glass on other vehicles, not sure if the KJ glass can have this problem as its dark out here as well and i can't go check!!

Oh, and while your out getting parts, get a couple additional backup lights..

Can i laugh now?? :D

Seriously though dude, it *****, but live and learn!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know...hind sight is 20/20.

Except when backing down a dark road with the glass up and the dome light shining in your eyes. Then 'hind sight' is like 20/0... and sometimes you hit trees.

Sorry man, it's cool. We all make mistakes sometimes.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys... its a new day and i have a new attitude. too bad my girlfriend dosent. shes still mad. im waiting for the dealer to open to check prices. the oem mopar websites have it for 23 for the hinge and 10 for the bracket. the local dealer probably has it for double. ill check junkyards too.
thanks again

james

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you aint kidding thats a tough window....i thought for sure i broke the window. my heart sank when i heard that pop. it just pushed the window up further than the hinge would allow on the passenger side.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, what an ordeal. All my local junkyards wont sell the hinge with out the glass. They all want $350 for the glass. I went to the dealer and they told me that jeep redesigned the hinge and I have to buy both sides for it to work. They want $70 for each side. I was going to use one of those oem mopar sites. They have them for $30 each. Then I remembered there is a big popular junkyard a couple of towns over. No problem. $25 out the door. Back together like it never happened.
So I guess the moral of the story is pay attention to the trees that are behind you.
Thanks again guys.
Now that its all done and over I will laugh at my self. lol3.gif
What a ********.
To quote Red Forman to my self… “I wish I was an octopus so I could stick 8 feet up your ass.”

KJKev

Reaction score
Tell your girlfriend not to be too pissed. She could have gotten out and guided you...LOL.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, what an ordeal. All my local junkyards wont sell the hinge with out the glass. They all want $350 for the glass. I went to the dealer and they told me that jeep redesigned the hinge and I have to buy both sides for it to work. They want $70 for each side. I was going to use one of those oem mopar sites. They have them for $30 each. Then I remembered there is a big popular junkyard a couple of towns over. No problem. $25 out the door. Back together like it never happened.
So I guess the moral of the story is pay attention to the trees that are behind you.
Thanks again guys.
Now that its all done and over I will laugh at my self. lol3.gif
What a ********.
To quote Red Forman to my self… “I wish I was an octopus so I could stick 8 feet up your ass.”

They redesigned it??? Odd, cause i checked chrysler parts online and put in the part number for the hinge on my 03' and it gave me the part listing, i think it was $29.50, would have to go back and check again i got sidetracked before posting.

So i guess we found the same info online, i wonder what the deal was with the dealer?

Oh well, you got it fixed is the main thing. Now take the broken hinge and hang it on the wall in the garage as a reminder... LOL

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of our assmbly line body shop where we drive with hoods and trunks up inside the building(masking for bumpers is easier that way) and one time one of the night shift guys forgot how high a saab hood and how low the air hoses were. FOLD. He bought the farm on that one. Complete fold in half. They raised the hoses afterwards and have spotters when moving high ones.
As was stated, perhaps a spotter was a good idea. Good to hear the glass didn't give.