Yikes!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on BITOG forums that has a cousin that has a 2002 KJ with 140k miles and the only thing he has been doing to it is the regular oil changes. Hasn't done any of the recalls, TSBs, or any of the other maintenance that the owner's manual calls for.

Poor KJ...jeez I hate people that don't take care of their vehicles.:mad:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't "hate" anybody, but the sad part is that he will sell it and the new owner will have trouble and blame it on the jeep. I just hope the ball joints don't come apart on the interstate at highway speeds. ..since he didn't have the recall done.

Dave

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't the balljoints conditional with sloppy conditions? I thought that it wasn't the balljoint itself but the seal. I had a friend who did very little to his in 7 1/2 years and 197,000 miles. Oil changes, tune ups and 1 CV joint.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is why you should never buy a high mileage unit unless you have seen the repair orders and it's up to speed, with a complete inspection.
I generally buy under 35,000 miles with receipts/ lean and accident checks as well as complete inspection.
How difficult would it be to get the Jeep in for the recalls etc especially when it`s no charge? Why would anyone want to drive a potentially unsafe vehicle?
MORONZ who would rather drive it until the Wheels Fall Off.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why you should never buy a high mileage unit unless you have seen the repair orders and it's up to speed, with a complete inspection.
I generally buy under 35,000 miles with receipts/ lean and accident checks.
How difficult would it be to get the Jeep in for the recalls etc especially when it`s no charge? Why would anyone want to drive a potentially unsafe vehicle?
People just don't care or are too dumb to own such equipment.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I refuse to take mine in for the recalls..

My 02 KJ was previously owned by my Dad, who took it in for two ball joint recalls, and twice more in between the recalls for additional ball joints. Four sets of crap factory ball joints, each with about 5000 miles on them, and they would not pass inspection. The only good part was teh work was done at no charge, but it was still an unsafe vehicle. My 05 has not seen the dealership since I purchased it new. My 05 had moog k3199's put in at 2000 miles when the factory crap separated. The 02 had Moog's put in at 38k.

As much as the maintenance records are important, the quality of parts are just as important.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People don't get the recalls completed becuase they hate their local dealerships. The great part about this guy is that... if something does happen - the dealer will have no record of any recall being performed and that guy will not be able to sue UAW motors.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
People don't get the recalls completed becuase they hate their local dealerships.
I hear that. I never had to, still haven't had to, use the dealer for my Jeep, but if I did, I'd probably remember why I said that I'd "never go back". I think the only reason I do is the hot girl back in quick lube :D, and reasonable prices on maintenance.
The great part about this guy is that... if something does happen - the dealer will have no record of any recall being performed and that guy will not be able to sue UAW motors.

Excellent. :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My 02 KJ was previously owned by my Dad, who took it in for two ball joint recalls, and twice more in between the recalls for additional ball joints. Four sets of crap factory ball joints, each with about 5000 miles on them, and they would not pass inspection. The only good part was teh work was done at no charge, but it was still an unsafe vehicle. My 05 has not seen the dealership since I purchased it new. My 05 had moog k3199's put in at 2000 miles when the factory crap separated. The 02 had Moog's put in at 38k.

As much as the maintenance records are important, the quality of parts are just as important.
There was also an investigation into the upper ball joints.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-04-21-1148931411_x.htm
So in other words if you want to feel real safe and are doing a lift or lower ball joints do the uppers as well with zerk's/Moog ball joints.
This whole mess could be avoided if the dealerships simply would have stopped using their ball joints without the zerk fittings, and install quality Moog Ball joint..makes no sense does it?