Worn suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got bored today so I measured the front tire wear on my Jeep. The inside was 13/32 and the outside was 15/32. These numbers were even across both front tires.

I knew my suspension was shot, but this proves it to me.

The sagging springs have put my camber way negative, and has probably also effected the caster to a certain degree.

The vehicle drives straight as an arrow down the road and quickly returns to center which leads me to believe I need new suspension componets.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am in the same boat. Hoping to wait till spring to tackle. What does everyone put on for either a small lift, or stock height? This is the wife's so I don't need anything big, just enough articulation to jump curbs and the usual.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we were in the same boat as both of you guys about 3 years and 30K ago
we put on OME Med. springs all around with Rancho struts and OME shocks
it gave us about 2" of lift ,after settling in, and clears 245/75's
it looks VERY factory like this until you park next to a stocker
it rides much better than it did before we did the work and rides way better than a KJ with Rustys coil lift with at best 5K more miles on it
now it is a little stiff compared to bone stock so if you are looking for 100% stock ride then you need to go with that
I am not unhappy with the ride but I know I would be if we had gone with the HD springs

The OE suspension is there because it needs to be
it is designed to make the majority happy when they go and test drive a car/truck/SUV
it is NOT designed for long life nor is it designed for off roading ,ect.
My experience with stock or OE suspension is that you will get 30-36K out of it and not much more ,basically it will just make it through factory warranty and then die
it has done this on EVERY vehicle I have EVER owned ,and I have owned a lot of them
I also know you will get what you pay for ,if it cost less than chances are good the quality is less as well

hope this helps

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone sell packages of OME stuff for these? I don't even need 2inch but will take it if it rides alright. Might look funny with 225/75 16s but whatever.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone sell packages of OME stuff for these? I don't even need 2inch but will take it if it rides alright. Might look funny with 225/75 16s but whatever.

yes but it usually costs more, if you piece it together you can get it for about $650 shipped.

Rancho RSX17004 $48-rear shocks
http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RSX170...I8I4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1233296617&sr=8-1

Rancho SX17505 $78-front shocks
http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RSX175..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1233296684&sr=8-1

OME Coils $72 each (last I knew and you need to call him to order them)
http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/contact.htm

TeraFlex Extended Bumpstops $22 each (p/n 1903200)
http://www.trailquest.com/teraflex/KJ/suspension.shtml#bumpstop

for the rear bumpstops you can use stacked hockey pucks and bolt them down.

For the front clevis you just need to run to the local hardware store and buy some 2” conduit nuts.

The rear isolator you can just buy from your dealer for about $15 each and the p/n is 52088707AA

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pricing everything out for replacement of the stock equipment. I could get four new Mopar springs from www.wholesalemopar.com for about $200, and then get four new Ranchos from www.rockauto.com for about $300.

I think I'm going to see if I can hold out for an OME/Rancho lift from All J Products. They quoted me $700 for OME HD springs, Rancho shocks, and extended bump stops. That's with shipping, so it's not bad.

No matter which way I go, I've got to have an alignment done, so I'm going to try to buck up and get my lift now.

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HD springs are needed when you add the ARB bumper front / back. Are you planning on those extra bits?

I'm doing my entire ( 7 year stock) suspension this summer with the OME Mediums and the rancho shocks. It'll ride better than stock and look nearly identical to the original configuration.

Latest posts

Members online