Winter tire question/poll

What is the best option for my Jeep with 17" rims (235/65/17 tires) with no good options for an

• Stick with my current tires and see how they handle in the snow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Freedom Edition Liberty, which gave me 17" rims that run a 235/65/17 tire. I love my rims, they just look awesome and give my Liberty a good look. They are painted aluminum alloy. However, the stock tire is an odd size (235/65/17).

My tires are getting pretty warn and I am not sure if they will make it through the winter in NH safely. I also want to get an All Terrain that gives my Jeep a more rugged luck instead of those POS Goodyear Wrangler HP streetish tires that came with it.

The problem comes with the tire size. I have looked at the different brands. I like the BFG All Terrains. I have read a lot of you saying the Bridgestone Deuler Revos are good on the Liberty. But I have a bit of a dilemma...none of these tires come in the size that is currently on my Liberty.

I was wondering if it is better to get a set of 16" steel rims (like those cool black off road ones I see on some of your rigs) and to get a tire that is decent in the snow? Or should I just get some All Terrains that fit my current rim (which the only ones I can find are pirelli) and run my current painted alloy rim in the winter?

My other question is can I fit a 30" tire on a stock 03 (no lift) without rubbing?

If you say get the steel rims...any suggestions as to which ones? I really like the black painted ones that you oftem see on off road rigs. I do live in NH, which means that there is a lot of salt in the winter.

Also, what tires do you recommend. Sadly, my poor Jeep has only seen dirt roads...but I hope to go play soon. Right now my tires suck too much to drive on anything except dry pavement! I do use my Jeep as a commuter vehicle...

Thank you so much! Sorry about all the questions!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm..

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

:D

pls head to LOST's tire section and put your name down for 17"ers misery.

*EDIT
oopps.. you already did! :)

As for Wrangler HPs, they handle suprisingly well on deep snow, I drove through 2ft of snow last winter, it didn't even feel like snowed in. Totally awesome. They don't grab well if you get stuck in mud or ice but otherwise does good.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend snows if you can afford them or all terrain if no snows.

Yes my OAD is 30.1" so u may get some minor rub in reverse. Any bigger u will get major rub.

Reposted b4:

Remember my posted my pix of the wrecked KJ on stocker GY's in the Rockies snow...

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=84971&highlight=#84971

I have the GY Tripletred and HL versions of the GY Forteras and love them particularly in wet. Got em based upon Cons Reports 2005 review of All Season passenger tires... rated No 1 for the tripletred passenger tires so I got the SUV Fortera version.

They are available in 17"

I had the GY Fortera's HL's and also the Tripletreads based upon Consumer Rep's SUV/truck in 2004 and last years Top rating for passenger tire who compare them side for wet, dry, handling braking emergency etc etc objectively and found them good too. I had the stock GY ST, GSA and also the Mich Artic Ice snows. The Trips gripped as good as my snows. I highway mostly and city with little or no off roading.

I buy the best tire on the market with $$ not an issue based upon CS report since I spun out on stockers long ago too. It rains here alot!!!

My advice is that the ratings on the tire shop sites are fine but are subjective to the individual based upon their past tire usage and don't measure them objectively... it's like I like KJ's while others like Explorers... all opinions and everybody has one...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get CR but so far did not run into any tire reports.. I will purchase online subscription to CR, since I am already a member, I get discount. Once I get it I will share my findings, if there are any revised since liberator checked them.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I get CR but so far did not run into any tire reports.. I will purchase online subscription to CR, since I am already a member, I get discount. Once I get it I will share my findings, if there are any revised since liberator checked them.

That would be awesome as I think they are due to test tires again this year!!! Hopefully it is for SUV's/trucks rather than just passenger tires.

I just buy the mags.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will have to find the "invitation" they sent to me, it was for $1/month online access..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I signed up with CR and I could find the A/T tire test was out last year, but this year they only did all season & performance tires..

November 2005
this is the top 5 in their A/T test.
Nitto Terra Grappler AT -- 80
Bridgestone Dueler APT III -- 74
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo -- 73
Toyo Open Country A/T -- 72
Kumho Road Venture AT -- 70

followed by
Hankook Dynapro AT RF08
Cooper Discoverer ATR
Firestone Destination A/T
BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A

============

On the all season light truck (like the ones that come OEM)
SEPT 2006
Goodyear Fortera HL Edition - 75.
Pirelli Scorpion STR A - 71
Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 -- 68.
Kelly Safari Signature --64.
Dayton Timberline HT -- 64.

on the other choices
Toyo Radial Open Country M410 in the 10th place
Firestone Destination LE in 12th
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 13th
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 18th
BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A and LAST place

non of our choices were tested, other than fortera's.. will have to wait for 2006 tests hopefully they will do it end of NOV..

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have to seriously consider tires within the next month as no one, not my bf or my family wants me using the tires I have in the snow...

So these are 2 tires that I have found that come in my size. I was wondering what sort of feedback you all could give me!

Toyo Open Country AT (Not as agressive as I would like....but come in my size)

Mastercraft Courser AT (fairly agressive...decent price, come in my size)

After a little research...also found Yokohama Geolander AT/S comes in my size...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepgirl0385 said:
Ok, so I have to seriously consider tires within the next month as no one, not my bf or my family wants me using the tires I have in the snow...

So these are 2 tires that I have found that come in my size. I was wondering what sort of feedback you all could give me!

Toyo Open Country AT (Not as agressive as I would like....but come in my size)

Mastercraft Courser AT (fairly agressive...decent price, come in my size)

After a little research...also found Yokohama Geolander AT/S comes in my size...

You know what my answer is.. \:D/