Winter Starting Odd Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So the current temperature is ranging between -15 to -25 Celsius (5 Fahrenheit to -13 Fahrenheit). When I start my jeep in the morning before going to work, and when I start it after work, it seems to make a strange sound. It's a bit hard to describe, kinda like a fast starting sound. I guess it would kind of sound like those old toy cars where you had a plastic strip and would pull it from the toy very fast and the car, when placed on the ground/table would race off. (If that makes any sense). It would be the sound when you pull the strip out. Like a ZZzzzzz sound (not sleeping), :D . Man it's hard to explain :p

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with winter driving. Warms up nicely and drives great.

During the regular temperatures, I don't have any odd sounds or anything.

This is my first Jeep and first new vehicle, so not sure if this is normal for newer vehicles/Jeeps. It's a Jeep Liberty Sport, 2007 (Bought in May 2007).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
OK I KNOW what this one is!!!! I believe it has been reported to be the Power Steering Pump. Whatever it is, it is normal, my '04 did it and my sister's '05 does it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The starters on these really don't like super cold weather...generally anything single digits or below and the starters make all kinds of grinding noises from sticking.....just part of the cold weather.

Dude 1

Reaction score
Ya - I noticed on my 04 the zippy sound in the cold weather too. Soooooooo now I park the libby in the garage :D No more noise.

nlife

Reaction score
I get the same noise and was going to post about it as well. It really does sound like ZZZZzzzzzz! Almost as if something is being over "spun". Hopefully it's just the power steering pump getting primed and not the starter sticking and being over reved.

N

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My starter sounds like its farting when its cold out..

Does it sound like a fart?

Either your starter is broken or you fart weird! hah.gif

When it's really cold mine sounds more like a high pitched squeel kind of like the power steering whine. This is normal and has been so on every vehicle I've owned. It helps if you plug in the block heater prior to starting. It's -23C here now so definately a must. Oh, winter joy!