Will New Tires Improve Wheel Slippage on 04 2WD Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well if he's talking about the Silent Armors, then YEAH, those have shown to be an insanely great tire. Tests have shown that it makes the BFG AT/KO look like an all-season. But of course the AT/KOs last forever.

And the Goodyear is horribly expensive. Oh well.... Matter of looks IMO. They're both good tires.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy some BFG's and be done with it. Shop it around your local shops and get a good deal, you will be suprised how much they will deal...and for the love, buy 5, dont be cheap and buy 4 and have an offsize spare, get all of them.

ive had 2 sets on a liberty, and two sets on two different land rovers, the tires are legit, have great tread wear (assuming you rotate well) will kick ass in snow, mud, and dirt.

Although, be cautious, because a tire looks beefy, doesnt mean it does everything, wet conditions are very hard to combat, snow is easier than rain with a lot of tires. OE tires tend to be soft and spongy, you will get better traction with an aftermarket tire with better patterns

CapnFinVark

Reaction score
First, you are asking in the wrong place, for a street only tire, get a copy of Consumer Reports (or similar) tire test. You will note that there is a HUGE difference in wet performance.

I would suggest an All Season Passenger car tire for your 2WD street only Liberty. Personally, I like Michelin. Note that Michelin owns Uniroyal and BF Goodrich.

As mentioned above, the Liberators at Wal-Mart are very slippery in the wet - they are a rugged long lasting tire (50K miles on my Ranger 2WD and look almost new). Not recommended for your application.

Thanks to all who replied on this - I agree that I am probably likely to be asking in a forum where more off-road use is the norm - but I wanted to get people with actual experience on this specific car in case it wasn't tire related :)

For those of you with any experience - I can get Michelins easily - not sure about the BFG's - would the Michelin LTX M/S be considered a standard passenger-grade All-Season passenger - I just put in my type of car and Michelin responded with these (as did Discount Tire). Or is there a different type of Michelin that would work better on asphalt in the rain on the Liberty and Michelin just isn't recommending it because they think i want to mud in it? :)

Would the Michelins above be considered comparable to the Goodyear SilentArmors or BFGs? And if not - what would the part number/series of BFG tire be I'd be looking at for the solid wet/concrete performance I'm after?

Thanks for ALL the help!

nfmisso

Reaction score
Please note that Michelin owns BF Goodrich (and Uniroyal).

I believe that you and your wife would be happy with the Michelin LTX M/S tires. Keep in mind, no matter what you do, the Liberty is not going to perform as well as a front wheel drive passenger car on the road - wet or dry.