"White" Smoke - Condensation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Wish I could be posting of something more positive. I bought the 2005 Liberty with a 3.7L motor. I was working on getting some title issues worked out on the jeep before I was able to drive it. It sat longer than I was hoping. I had been going up and starting it, letting it run, and driving it short distances. The battery died on it (was expecting it, it needed one when I bought it). Life got in the way and it sat for a little bit. Anyways, got a battery in it, and it was a pain to get started back up. I finally got it started back up and it started smoking like nobodies business. Let it run and looked a lot of things over. Smoke seems to be white (it was dark out), not overheating, oil looks fine, doesn't show to be losing any coolant, exhaust doesn't smell like coolant at all. After we let it run and messed with it for a while the smoke started going away little by little til it wasn't smoking anymore. Still need to do some work on the jeep, needs a tuneup etc. Been starting it and running it since then every couple of days. Each time I start it up it seems to be smoking a little bit, but seems to be less and less each time and for shorter periods of time. I'm HOPING it may have been condensation in the tailpipe or something simple. The other day when it was running (smoking a little but definitely less than it had been previously) after it warmed up I gave it a few good revs and held it and 'driving' rpms a little bit. I noticed after it ran and revved some there was some 'water(?)' on the ground by the exhaust exit. As mentioned, the exhaust gases don't smell like coolant like common with HG type issues and after I noticed the 'water' on the ground I rubbed some of it on my fingers. Doesn't look like coolant (just clear, no color), and doesn't smell like coolant. I'm really hoping it might be something as simple as condensation in the exhaust or something, but thought I'd check in with the experts. Any other ideas for me? Like I said, it does need a tune up and will be getting one soon. The last time was the first time I noticed any liquid outside the tailpipe, so I'm hoping maybe it blew everything out and won't do any smoking next time I start it up.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's been sitting a long while like you said. The piston rings are most likely stuck and gummed up. Get some Marvel's mystery oil. Pull the spark plugs and pour a couple of table spoons in each hole. Speen the motor over a couple of times with the plugs out to distribute the oil around the Pistons. Let it set for a day. Then repeat the next day. Put plugs back in and crank it up on day 3. The rings should be free . It will smoke a lot burning the MMO off the Pistons .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes setting for YEARS to require the procedure rob suggests. I'd expect what you're seeing is the result of your "start and let it run" regimen. That's about the worst thing one can do to a internal combustion engine, aside from "a few good revs and holding it at driving rpms". If you must start it and let it run, leave it running at least an hour. Best to just leave it to hell alone unless you're gonna put it to work.

Your condition sounds like condensation directly related to your regimen.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing some Marvell Mystery oil directly in crank case will free it up & clean it up.
Run it for a few hours, driving around, then change the oil.
How long exactly did it sit for, without starting?
Fuel can sour in a mater of a couple of months, and condensation easily gets in the fuel, especially with ethanol fuels. Get water remover.
Anytime you are storing a vehicle, use a fuel stabilizer, that makes the fuel good for a year or two.
A Marine ethanol stabilizer or Starbrite StarTron fuel stabilizer can now also be added to your fuel, along with fresh fuel, if it has been sitting a long time.
Doing a good solid hwy run at 70mph will help to clean the plugs and burn off crap.

Latest posts

Members online