Weird electrical problem with my '12 Liberty.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAC_Addy

Reaction score
Hi there.

I have been experiencing this issue for a number of weeks. I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty with around 20k miles on it. The problem started around 3 - 4 weeks ago while on vacation - the windshield wipers came on randomly when I first started the car and wouldn't go off. I had pulled the fuse just to get them to turn off since we needed to go out and get groceries. When we got home I put the fuse back in. All was fine until the next day. I started the car and the wipers came on again, the lights started flashing and the compass was turning on and off (in conjunction to the lights turning on and off). I took it to the local Jeep dealership, they kept it for around 6 days and found the instrument cluster was the problem. They replaced it and gave me back my vehicle and said it was 100% fixed.

The next day we had to head back home, which is around a 6.5 hour drive, plus we have my son who just turned one, so stopping is kinda mandatory. The same problem started after about an hour of driving. I just pulled the fuse to get it to stop. Then, the lights started flashing again. I got pulled over by the police because they thought I was having road rage with people. I explained to the cop that it was an issue and showed him what was happening. Fortunately after he stopped me it didn't happen again.

So when we get back home I take it to the dealership by my house and they keep it for a total of 10 days. They reported it was the same problem, the instrument cluster... They replaced it and said it "appears to be fixed now". Okay, that's good.... the next the day the same thing happens again... So, this time I decided to get a recording on my phone so they can see it happen.... Here's a link to the video: 2012 Jeep Liberty problem with windshield wipers, compass, turn signals and lights - YouTube

The thing is, when this happens, the stalks for the blinkers, wipers, lights, etc don't work at all when the compass turns off on the dash. Also, the volume, station change, and other features on the steering wheel work... However, the cruise control stuff does. I am taking the jeep back in tomorrow, but I don't know what else to tell them other than fix it. But I am afraid that they'll replace the cluster again and it'll do the same thing AGAIN.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts: how does the battery test? Did they replace the multi function switch along with the dash assembly? Those two might be possibilities.

MAC_Addy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't think they tested the battery. Would the dealership do that? Or can I do that?

From what I was told and what's on the paperwork, only the instrument cluster (dash) was the only thing that was replaced.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't think they tested the battery. Would the dealership do that? Or can I do that?

From what I was told and what's on the paperwork, only the instrument cluster (dash) was the only thing that was replaced.

Personally it sounds like the switch/stalk is bad (with the exception of the compass part). See if they can replace that (hopefully all under Warranty?)

Any local auto parts store can test a battery to let you know if it's on the way out. Weird electrical gremlins can come up if you have a weak battery.

MAC_Addy

Reaction score
That's how it seems to me - with the switch or stalk being faulty. For some reason whenever the wipers come on and all the faults happen, the compass turns off. Its as though a wire on the harness has gone bad or something. Then again, I have heard of battery issues causing the problem, too. I'll go and have that checked first. I'll send an update when I have it in case someone else with the same problems reads this.

Members online

No members online now.