water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water pump on our KJ gave up the ghost today. #-o Question is, it went after about 45,000 miles, and was wondering if that was too fast? I know the old adage "Your mileage mary vary", but has anyone else had a water pump go that fast?

Thanks!

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like its easy to get to at least

my 89 prelude is a PAIN, but we replaced it when i rebuilt the engine so i dont gotta deal with that :)

speaking of water pump, how long are our fluids supposed to last, we have the red coolant correct?

are you going to put brand new stuff in and flush everything while your replacing the pump?

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
should be covered under the powertrain warranty. O:)

Darn-skippy it was! =D>

Thank god too, I was imagining a VERY large bill from the dealer. The final cost was just the $100 deductible. They put in a new water pump, new belt, and coolant. The KJ rides again. \:D/

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wifes 05 KJ with 500 miles puked it's water pump. They are crap from the get go. The seals are failing due to the heat from the engine.

Now my 05 hasn't had any probs yet, but I keep a close eye on it.

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM water pump, and the Liberty is at 88K. I'm sure there are some members with a lot more miles that still have the OEM pump. If it's the heat from the engine, that might mean the incorrect coolant mixture or a faulty thermostat that lead to the pump failure.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went out a while back, it was at about 42k or so...It was replaced under warranty (7/70) but I still had to pay the $100 deductable. I heard a squeaking noise under the hood on a trip the previous week-end, and then it went away...a couple days later I lost my heat, so I checked the coolant level and found it super low and all over the engine....that's what it ended up being.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the very least it's good to know we weren't the only ones who had a problem and now we've got a new serpentine belt and new fluids in it. :)

Guy at work told me that he had his water pump go while they were on the Garden State Parkway. So I guess it can happen at any time.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the very least it's good to know we weren't the only ones who had a problem and now we've got a new serpentine belt and new fluids in it. :)

Guy at work told me that he had his water pump go while they were on the Garden State Parkway. So I guess it can happen at any time.

New Serpentine belt? I wasn't aware of that.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...they put a new one on when they replaced the water pump. All covered under th 7/70 warranty.

When I changed the oil a couple days before this happened, I looked at the belt and planned to replace it at the same time of the next oil change.

2003KJ

Reaction score
It was probably done as a need be type thing. If the belt is getting worn out, there's no point in putting it back on only to have to take it off to replace it again in the near future. Depending on mileage, you're better off with a new one :)

Interesting about the water pumps. I've got right around 43K on mine with zero issues.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it actually on your invocie? Mine doesn't say anything about the belt being replaced...

Yep, it was on the invoice. And it certainly does look like a new belt.

And 2003KJ's right...I'm definetly better off with a new one, rather than the old one.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very high pitched squeaking/squealing, similar to what you'd have with a belt/belt tensioner problem. Looking back, there's a good chance that the squeaking could have been caused by coolant wetting the belt.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online