Valve mystery, any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tin Man

Reaction score
I had cylinder heads done earlier this year. Couple of new valves, rest cleaned and cylinder heads re-tooled, new timing set (chain, tensioners, guides but no sprockets) etc. After 6 months got leaking intake valve on cylinder 3. When the head was opened again they discovered, that on driver side all intake valves were bent. All of them, not just the leaking cylinder. No leaks on passenger side which was not opened.

Nobody could figure out what has happened. Cam sprockets looked perfectly ok (should they be replaced as well when changing chain?), Cloyes timing set was correct, timing was perfect and there was no obvious reason what had caused this. No over revving has occured.

My guess was, that the mechanic had an oops moment when he first started the engine after the job, fixed quietly the timing and told nobody what happened since there was no immediate damage. Valve spring would explain one valve but not all 3 on same side. Any ideas and explanations are appreciated.

Tin Man

Reaction score
No ideas? Well there's nothing to do but close the lid and hope it won't happen again. There was also 4th valve on the passenger side block which was replaced. Now I'll have to hold my breath and hope that the yellow "check engine" light won't light up any more. Because if it does I think this one will be recycled. It's very disturbing that there's no reason what caused this timing issue.